Black Nubble (Redington Township, Maine)
|Elevation||3700+ ft (1128+ m) NGVD 29|
|Prominence||900 ft (270 m) |
|Location||Franklin County, Maine, U.S.|
|Topo map||USGS Black Nubble|
Black Nubble is a mountain located in Franklin County, Maine. Black Nubble is flanked to the southeast by Mount Redington. Redington stands just north of the U.S. Navy Survival Escape and Evasion Training Facility (USSEAETF).
Black Nubble stands within the watershed of the Kennebec River, which drains into the Gulf of Maine. The east side of Black Nubble drains into Nash Stream, then into the South Branch of the Dead River, Flagstaff Lake, the Dead River and the Kennebec. The west side of Black Nubble drains into the West Branch of Nash Stream. The south end of Black Nubble drains into Orbeton Stream, then into the Sandy River, another tributary of the Kennebec River.
Wind farm proposal
In 2005, Maine Mountain Power (MMP) filed an application with the Maine Land Use Regulation Committee (LURC) for a permit to develop a 30-turbine wind farm on Black Nubble and neighboring Mt. Redington. After years of contentious debate, the proposal was voted down by the LURC in 2007. The summit of Redington was seen as too ecologically sensitive — a sub-alpine fir habitat providing a home for two rare species, the bog lemming and Bicknell's thrush. Also, the development would have been visible for miles along the Appalachian Trail. A revised proposal, for 18 turbines only on Black Nubble, was put forward by MMP, supported by many environmental groups, but still opposed by Maine Audubon. The project was rejected by the LURC in 2008.
- "Black Nubble, Maine". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "562472". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Get The Facts". Maine Mountain Power. 2006. Archived from the original on 2008-07-06. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Maine Mountain Power Redington Wind Farm Application for Development". Maine LURC. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Redington wind farm a step toward Maine's energy future". Portland Press Herald. 2006-07-29. Retrieved 2008-08-28.[permanent dead link]
- Crowell, Alan (2007-07-11). "Black Nubble wind project supporters line up". Kennebec Journal. Archived from the original on 2008-05-11. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Support Builds for Black Nubble Wind Farm". Natural Resources Council of Maine. 2007-07-10. Retrieved 2008-08-28.[permanent dead link]
- "Will you help Maine Audubon fight an uphill battle for wildlife-friendly wind power in Maine?". Maine Audubon. Archived from the original on 2008-07-03. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "Wind project rulings issued: Panel OKs Kibby, rejects Black Nubble". Morning Sentinel. 2008-01-15. Retrieved 2008-08-28.[permanent dead link]
|This Maine state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|