|Studio album by Sunn O)))|
|Released||17 October 2005|
105:34 (Limited Edition)
|Sunn O))) chronology|
Black One is the fifth album by Sunn O))). It is a combination of both experimental and traditional Sunn O))), utilizing many guest musicians, including black metal musicians Malefic and Wrest from Xasthur and Leviathan, respectively. The band supposedly also went so far as to lock the claustrophobic Malefic in a casket to record the vocals on "Báthory Erzsébet".
2,000 copies included a bonus disc titled Solstitium Fulminate, containing a mix of live performances recorded at Roskilde Festival in 2005 and the immediately preceding European tour.
"Orthodox Caveman", previously known as "Caveman Salad", is based on live material from the White (see Live White) tour. "Báthory Erzsébet" was recorded as a tribute to Quorthon (as well as the countess who inspired Bathory's name) and, according to an interview with Terrorizer magazine, is loosely built "around a really slowed down riff from 'A Fine Day to Die'".
Problems playing this file? See media help.
- "Sin Nanna" – 2:19
- Oren Ambarchi: vocals, bowed cymbals, flies, drums, el. guitars, atmos
- "It Took the Night to Believe" – 5:56
- Mystik Fogg Invokator: axe, subs
- Taoiseach: lead guitar, subs
- Wrest: voices
- "Cursed Realms (Of the Winterdemons)" (Immortal Cover) – 10:10
- Mystik Fogg Invokator: icy inverted crosswinds upon four string zamboni
- MK Ultra Blizzard: grail, eclipse, lead guitar
- M. Schneeberger: glacial winds
- John Wiese: whiteout
- Malefic: voice
- "Orthodox Caveman" – 10:02
- Mystik Fogg Invokator: guitar, riffs
- Caveman Skillz: guitar, bass, feedback
- Oren Ambarchi: caveman drums
- "CandleGoat" – 8:04
- Mystik Fogg Invokator: guitar, taurus
- MK Ultra Blizzard: decimator bass, crypt calls
- John Wiese: casket electronics
- Malefic: tundra guitar
- "Cry for the Weeper" – 14:38
- Mystik Fogg Invokator: guitar, keyboards
- SOMA: guitar, virus
- Malefic: guitar, keyboards
- Oren Ambarchi: el. guitars, horns, wood
- "Báthory Erzsébet" – 16:00
- Mystik Fogg Invokator: bass
- Drone Slut: bass
- Count Von Schneeberger: virus
- Malefic: calls from beyond the grave
- Oren Ambarchi: el. guitars, tubular bells, cymbals, gong
Solstitium Fulminate (Limited Edition Bonus Disc)
- "Wine & Fog" – 21:29
- "Vlad Tepes" – 16:43
- Guitar L: Greg Anderson
- Guitar R: Stephen O'Malley
- Vocals: Attila Csihar
- Guitar/electronics: Oren Ambarchi
- Analog synths: TOS Nieuwenhuizen
Black One musicians
- Malefic (Xasthur)
- Wrest (Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice)
- Oren Ambarchi
- John Wiese (Bastard Noise, Sissy Spacek)
- Mathias Schneeberger (credited as Count Von Schneeberger)
- Greg Anderson (guitarist) (credited as Mystik Fogg Invokator)
- Stephen O'Malley (credited as MK Ultra Blizzard, SOMA, Caveman Skullz, Taoiseach, and Drone Slut)
- "THE BEST METAL ALBUMS FROM 40 SUBGENRES". Loudwire. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. Black One review allmusic.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-22.
- Stosuy, Brandon. review pitchforkmedia.com. 2005-12-14. Retrieved on 2011-06-22.
- Begrand, Adrien. Black One review popmatters.com. 2005-11-11. Retrieved on 2011-06-22.
- Voegtlin, Stewart. Black One review Archived May 24, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. stylusmagazine.com. 2005-10-31. Retrieved on 2011-06-22.
- sunn0)))- Black One