Black Ox Orkestar
|Black Ox Orkestar|
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
Black Ox Orkestar is a quartet of musicians from Montreal, Quebec, Canada who play European Jewish folk music. They formed in the summer of 2000 to explore their common Jewish heritage through music. The band's music is entirely acoustic; texts are sung in Yiddish.
- Thierry Amar (contrabass)
- Scott Levine Gilmore (vocals, cymbalom, guitar, mandolin, saz, violin, percussion)
- Plays in Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band and Land of Kush (with composer Sam Shalabi). has also played in Luftmentsch Fareyn (with Josh Dolgin, aka So Called). He was a founding member of Le Petit Théâtre de l'Absolu, a puppet theatre that toured through Israel and the West Bank in 2003.
- Gabriel Levine (clarinet, guitar)
- Jessica Moss (violin)
- A member or former member of many bands and collaborations on the Montreal music scene. She plays in Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band, and has played with Broken Social Scene.
- Ver Tanzt? (Constellation Records, 2004)
- Nisht Azoy (Constellation Records, 2006. Recorded in Montreal's Hotel2Tango studio)