Black River Entertainment
|Black River Entertainment|
|Parent company||Pegula Sports and Entertainment|
|Country of origin||United States|
Black River Entertainment is an independent record label in Nashville, Tennessee, specializing in country music. The company is a partially owned subsidiary of Pegula Sports and Entertainment, which otherwise specializes primarily in professional sports team ownership in Western New York (including the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bandits and Rochester Americans).
The company also contains Black River Publishing and Sound Stage Studio both out of Nashville.
Black River Entertainment started in early 2010 by Nashville session musician Jimmy Nichols (James Ginnetti), his wife Tonya Cochran Ginnetti, and Pennsylvania-based oil magnates Terry and Kim Pegula. Black River’s first signing was former RCA recording artist, Jeff Bates, who previously reached Billboard top 40  status with three of his songs, “The Love Song,” “I Wanna Make You Cry,” and “Long, Slow Kisses.” Shortly after Bates signed with Black River, label president, Jimmy Nichols (along with Kenny Beard and Mickey Jack Cones) produced Jeff Bates’ self-titled album that was released in April 2008.
During preparation for Bates’ release, Black River began their search for their next potential artist. Singer/songwriter, Sarah Darling, was discovered via her MySpace music page. Darling previously made her name known to the public when she was a finalist on E! Entertainment Television's reality show The Entertainer, hosted by Wayne Newton. The label signed Darling and moved into the studio in the summer of 2008 to record her debut album, Every Monday Morning (released on June 16, 2009). Her single, “Jack of Hearts” successfully made its debut on CMT's top 20 countdown. Darling's first top-40 country hit (and the label's second), "Home to Me," peaked in fall 2012, after which she left the label.
After much success with two artists, they signed their third, Emma Jacob, in February 2009. Nichols produced her album, along with her manager, Lex Lipsitz, who also manages Kate and Kacey. Emma’s single, “Julianna,” has been an inspiration to teenage girls all across America. Black River does the majority of their recording in the historic studio, "Ronnie's Place," which is located in their building in Nashville. It was previously owned by country music legend, Ronnie Milsap.
Black River signed its biggest name to date in April 2011, when veteran singer Craig Morgan signed with the label. Morgan, who has compiled fifteen top-40 singles on the country charts over the course of his career, had previously been with BNA Records, Broken Bow Records and Atlantic Records prior to joining Black River. Morgan gave Black River its first single ("This Ole Boy") to reach the Top 40 of Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart.
On October 8, 2012, CMT reported that country music artist Kellie Pickler had signed with the label, and had already begun working with her on herfourth studio album. The Woman I Am was released on November 11, 2013.
In January 2013, Black River Entertainment added artist, The John King Band to the roster. The John King Band's new 5 song EP, "Something in the Water" is available digitally everywhere. In December 2013, the label added Kelsea Ballerini to their roster, and released her debut single, "Love Me Like You Mean It," in 2014. It serves as the lead-off single to her debut album, The First Time, which was released on May 19, 2015. "Love Me Like You Mean It" reached number one on the Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week ending July 4, 2015, giving Black River their first number-one hit on that chart and also earning the label the distinction of being the first independent label to bring a female artist's debut single to the top of the country chart; they are also the first independent label to have a female artist at number one since Taylor Swift's "Ours" led in December 2012.
- "Jeff Bates signs new record deal". Countrystandardtime.com. Retrieved 2014-07-30.
-  Archived December 1, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Jeff Bates Releasing New Album On April 8, 2008 @ Top40-Charts.com - Songs & Videos from 49 Top 20 & Top 40 Music Charts from 30 Countries". Top40-charts.com. 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2014-07-30.
-  Archived September 29, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Black River’s Sarah Darling Goes To Video School : MusicRow – Nashville's Music Industry Publication – News, Songs From Music City". Musicrow.com. 2009-03-26. Retrieved 2014-07-30.
- "Sarah Darling Bio | Sarah Darling Career". CMT. Retrieved 2014-07-30.
-  Archived November 15, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Photos: Joey+Rory, O’Shea, and Emma Jacob : MusicRow – Nashville's Music Industry Publication – News, Songs From Music City". Musicrow.com. 2009-07-17. Retrieved 2014-07-30.
- "Nashville Skyline | Ronnie’s Place Profile". Mixonline.com. 2009-01-01. Retrieved 2014-07-30.
- "Craig Morgan signs with Black River". Country Standard Time. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "Kellie Pickler Signs to Black River Entertainment". CMT. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- "The John King Band Signs to Black River Entertainment".
- Trust, Gary (23 June 2015). "Kelsea Ballerini First Female To Lead Country Airplay Chart With Debut Single Since 2006". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved 24 June 2015.