Theatrical poster to Black Samurai (1977)
|Directed by||Al Adamson|
|Written by||B. Readick|
|Edited by||Jim Landis|
Black Samurai is a 1977 American blaxploitation film directed by Al Adamson and starring Jim Kelly. The script is credited to B. Readick, with additional story ideas from Marco Joachim. The film is based on a novel of the same name, by Marc Olden.
Robert Sand, agent of D.R.A.G.O.N. (Defense Reserve Agency Guardian Of Nations), is playing tennis on his vacation with a beautiful black girl, when his commanding officers ask him to save a Chinese girl named Toki who happens to be Sand's girlfriend, and the daughter of a top Eastern Ambassador. The ransom for the abduction was the secret for a terrific new weapon - the freeze bomb - but the 'Warlock' behind the deed is also into the business of drug dealing and Voodoo ritual murders. The search takes him from Hong Kong to California through Miami, and plenty of action, against bad men, bad girls, and bad animals.
- Jim Kelly as Robert Sand
- Bill Roy as Janicot
- Roberto Contreras as Chavez
- Marilyn Joi as Synne
- Essie Lin Chia as Toki Konuma
- Biff Yeager as Pines
- Charles Grant as Bone
- Jace Khan as Jace
- Erwin Fuller as Bodyguard
- Grace St. Esprit as Cleo
- Peter Dane as Farnsworth
- Felix Silla as Rheinhardt
- Cowboy Lang as Himself
- Little Tokyo as Himself
- Jerry Marin as Shotgun Spiro
- Alfonso Walters as Leopard Man
- Charles Walter Johnson as Leopard Man
- Regina Carrol as Voodoo Dancer / Party Stripper (as Gina Adamson)
- Jesus Thillet as Martial Arts Fighter
- Cliff Bowen as Martial Arts Fighter
- D'Urville Martin (uncredited)
- Aldo Ray as DRAGON chief (uncredited)
- Yasuke, a real life black samurai who existed during the Sengoku period of ancient Japanese history
- Huey Freeman, a fictional black swordsman from the comic strip and TV series The Boondocks
- Afro Samurai, a post-apocalyptic manga and anime about a black samurai by Takashi Okazaki
- Kaname Tōsen, Tier Halibel and Zommari Leroux, three fictional black swordsmen from the manga and anime Bleach
- Michonne, a fictional black swordsman from the franchise The Walking Dead
- Kevin, the Blue Samurai Ranger from the TV series Power Rangers Samurai
- "The American Martial Arts Film - M. Ray Lott". Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Serial Vigilantes of Paperback Fiction: An Encyclopedia from Able Team to Z-Comm - Bradley Mengel". Books.google.co.uk. 2009-09-16. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Racial Stigma on the Hollywood Screen: The Orientalist Buddy Film - Brian Locke". Books.google.co.uk. 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Black Camelot: African-American Culture Heroes in Their Times, 1960-1980 - William L. Van Deburg". Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "'Black Samurai' Drama Starring Common Lands At Starz With Jerry Bruckheimer & RZA Producing". Deadline. Retrieved 22 August 2017.