This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Prince|
|from the album 3121|
|B-side||"Beautiful, Loved and Blessed"|
|Released||February 7, 2006|
|Recorded||Paisley Park Studios, 2004-5|
|Genre||R&B, funk, electronica|
|Label||NPG/Universal/Unique (UK release)|
|Prince singles chronology|
"Black Sweat" is a song by Prince that was released as the second single from his 2006 album 3121. The music video to accompany the single was released on February 2, 2006. At the 49th Annual Grammy Awards, it was nominated for Best R&B Song and Best Male R&B Vocal Performance.
- Video version
- TSMV edit by Tommie Sunshine
For the week ending March 11, 2006, "Black Sweat" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 60 (Prince's highest debut in years), and at number 83 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles and Tracks chart. It also debuted at number one on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles Sales chart, which tabulates both physical and digital sales.
The song's initial surge of 11,500 digital singles sales was prompted by a month-long promotion with iTunes, in which four consumers would win a private concert performance by Prince. "Black Sweat" was bundled with a second track from 3121, "Beautiful, Loved and Blessed". The song's lofty Hot 100 debut was attributed to this promotional tactic. As is typical with songs whose chart position is predominantly attributed to initial sales (with little or no radio airplay), "Black Sweat" dropped off the Hot 100 the following week.
"Black Sweat" debuted at number two on the Canadian Singles Chart for sales. The track was released on March 27, 2006 in the UK, and charted relatively low at number 43 on the UK Singles Chart, meaning Prince did not have a top 40 hit since the re-release of "1999" in the year 1998 during his lifetime. In Italy the single peaked at number 24.
Overall, "Black Sweat" appeared on the pop charts in a number of countries in 2006, including the US, and went Top 40 on the charts in Greece, Italy, Latvia, Netherlands, and Spain. In addition, the song was a hit on Japanese radio, staying at high rotation for several weeks on stations throughout the country.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||14|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||80|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||29|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||52|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||43|
|US Billboard Hot 100||60|
- Billboard magazine, issue date March 11, 2006
- Steffen Hung. "Prince - Black Sweat". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Ultratop.be – Prince – Black Sweat" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Prince – Black Sweat". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Italiancharts.com – Prince – Black Sweat". Top Digital Download. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Prince – Black Sweat" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Prince – Black Sweat" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Swisscharts.com – Prince – Black Sweat". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Prince: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Prince Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
|This 2000s R&B/soul music song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|