The Coalition (company)
|Industry||Video game development|
|Rod Fergusson (studio head)|
Number of employees
|<200 (July 2015)|
The Coalition, formerly known as Microsoft Vancouver and Black Tusk Studios, is a video game development studio owned by Microsoft in Vancouver, Canada. The studio changed its name to Black Tusk Studios in November 2012, and was tasked with creating a major franchise for Microsoft to rival their popular Halo franchise. Prior to its name change, the studio was working on Microsoft Flight and a Kinect game.
It was announced on January 27, 2014, that Microsoft had acquired the Gears of War franchise from Epic Games and that Black Tusk Studios would be tasked with developing future games in the series. As part of the Gears of War acquisition, Microsoft also hired Rod Fergusson, who was the executive producer and director of production on the first three Gears of War games at Epic, to oversee development. On June 3, 2015, Fergusson announced on Xbox Wire that Black Tusk Studios would be renaming themselves as The Coalition.
|Gears of War: Ultimate Edition||Microsoft Studios||Microsoft Windows, Xbox One||August 25, 2015|
|Gears of War 4||Microsoft Studios||Xbox One||Holiday 2016|
- Gies, Arthur (July 28, 2015). "Beauty Reconstructed: The State of Gears of War". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Shaw, Gillian (Nov 29, 2012). "Microsoft opens new video game studio in Vancouver". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved Jan 16, 2013.
- Hafer, T.J. (Nov 30, 2012). "Microsoft’s new Black Tusk Studios, headed by ex-EA devs, looking to make the next Halo". PC Gamer. Retrieved Jan 16, 2013.
- Lien, Tracey (28 January 2014). "The mystery of Black Tusk's 'next big entertainment franchise'". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise" (Press release). Microsoft. January 27, 2014. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- McWhertor, Michael (Jan 27, 2014). "Microsoft acquires Gears of War from Epic, hires series producer Rod Fergusson". Polygon. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Hicks, Jon (13 September 2014). "Epic streak: Rod Fergusson on bringing Gears of War to Xbox One. Series veteran talks Black Tusk, Bioshock and betraying fans". Official Xbox Magazine. Future plc. Archived from the original on 13 September 2014. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Fergusson, Rod (3 June 2015). "Introducing The Coalition – A Message from Rod Fergusson". Xbox Wire. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Coalition.|
|This article related to Microsoft is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|