Black Widow (In This Moment album)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 17, 2014|
|Studio||The Hideout (Las Vegas, Nevada)|
|In This Moment chronology|
|Singles from Black Widow|
Black Widow is the fifth studio album by the American heavy metal band In This Moment. It was released on November 17, 2014 by Atlantic Records. This marks the band's major-label debut and first release away from longtime label Century Media Records.
Background and new label
After the success of their 2012 album Blood and a headline tour, In This Moment announced that they were returning to the studio at the end February 2014 to begin working on a follow-up. Lead guitarist Chris Howorth told Billboard that they were again teaming up with longtime collaborator Kevin Churko, who has produced the band's previous records, and that the sound would continue with the same style as Blood. On their new evolved sound he remarked, "We feel like we found something and want to stick the flag in the ground on top of that hill." It was reported on February 5 that the band had signed with Atlantic Records. Frontwoman Maria Brink said of the new deal, "We are very excited to be releasing this album through Atlantic Records, who have put out some of the greatest and most revered albums of all time."
Album and songs
It was revealed on September 6, 2014 through the band's social media pages that new album details would be announced the following week. A redesign of the band's logo featured an image of a black widow, in line with the new album. On September 8, the first single, "Sick Like Me" premiered on Sirius Satellite Radio and was released to iTunes at midnight. The album's title was announced along with a headlining tour, which began in late October. Brink revealed the title is a metaphor for positive and negative life experiences and turning weaknesses into strength. She says, "This innocent young girl who gets infected with life, traumas, experiences, and the balance of light and darkness. She becomes this poised and powerful creature."
The album was made available for pre-order on iTunes on October 14 while the second single, "Big Bad Wolf", was released on October 21. Leaving little time in between, "Bloody Creature Poster Girl" was released as the next promotional single on October 27 followed by the final pre-release single, "Sex Metal Barbie", on November 4. The single reached number 18 on iTunes, the highest position of any In This Moment song to date. Even before being released as the album's second radio single, "Big Bad Wolf" started to reach rotation in most of the rock and metal station; debuting into the top 100.
To support the release, the band performed at Knotfest on October 25, 2014 before headlining the Black Widow Tour, which kicked off on October 26, 2014 and concluded on December 14, 2014 with Starset, Twelve Foot Ninja, and 3 Pill Morning as the opening acts. The Black Widow shows presented a more elaborate stage show with each song featuring a new set, props, and choreography. According to Brink, the stage show is to bring the songs to life. Throughout 2015, the headline tour resumed in Europe and the U.S, followed by supporting slots for Papa Roach, Five Finger Death Punch and Godsmack. On March 16, 2016, Drummer Tom Hane announced his departure from the band, citing creative and artistic unhappiness. The band replaced Hane with Kent Diimmel, the drummer from 3 By Design. On June 18, 2016, the band kicked off The Hellpop 2016 Tour with openers Hellyeah, Sunflower Undead, and Shaman's Harvest before joining Rob Zombie and Korn for their summer tour.
Personal Health issues
A second outing in Europe and the UK was scheduled to begin on January 10, 2016 in France. Due to health problems concerning the band members, the tour was postponed and later cancelled. Guitarist Howorth announced that he was being treated for a neck injury due to years of headbanging on stage. Howorth later revealed that the treatment led to painkiller addictions, which he overcame.
|2.||"Sex Metal Barbie"||4:22|
|3.||"Big Bad Wolf"||5:12|
|6.||"Sexual Hallucination" (featuring Brent Smith)||6:18|
|7.||"Sick Like Me"||5:00|
|8.||"Bloody Creature Poster Girl"||4:20|
|11.||"Natural Born Sinner"||5:09|
|12.||"Into the Darkness"||2:52|
|13.||"Out of Hell"||6:34|
|Best Buy and Japanese edition bonus tracks|
|Vinyl digital download bonus tracks|
|1.||"Sick Like Me" (Motionless in White remix)|
|2.||"Big Bad Wolf" (Dr. Ozi remix)|
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Black Widow.
- Monger, James Christopher. "Black Widow – In This Moment". AllMusic. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
Recorded at Churko's own Hideout Studios in Sin City, the Atlantic Records-issued 13-track collection doubles down on the group's penchant for crafting muscular, yet always melodious metalcore-kissed slabs of Lacuna Coil-esque American goth-metal...
- Price, Johnny. "Album Review: In This Moment – Black Widow". RockRevolt Magazine. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
The band continues its fusion of industrial and metal and pushes the envelope even further than they did on Blood.
- Leoffler, Shawn (December 15, 2014). "In This Moment – Black Widow (2014) Review". Yell! Magazine.
- Bowar, Chad. "In This Moment – Black Widow Review". About.com. Retrieved June 17, 2015.
- Graff, Gary (February 4, 2014). "In This Moment Begin Work on 'Blood' Follow-Up: 'We Want to Be Very Powerful Next Time'". Billboard. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- "In This Moment signs with Atlantic". Blabbermouth.net. February 5, 2014. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- "In This Moment Unleashes "BLACK WIDOW"; Hard Rock Titans Return With Atlantic Records Debut; Album Pre-Orders Launch October 7th; First Single, "SICK LIKE ME," Available Now; "'THE NOISE' Presents In This Moment's 'BLACK WIDOW' Tour" Gets Underway October 26th in Reno; Special Guests Include Twelve Foot Ninja and Starset; "BLACK WIDOW" Arrives on November 18th" (Press release). New York City: Atlantic Records. Marketwired. September 9, 2014. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- "In This Moment Releases "Sick Like Me" Official Video – Performing At Bogart's On 11/25". Cincy Groove. October 20, 2014. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- "In This Moment Announce "The Black Widow Tour"". Digital Tour Bus. September 9, 2014. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- "FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH, PAPA ROACH, IN THIS MOMENT To Join Forces For U.S. Tour". Blabbermouth. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "In This Moment Drummer Tom Hane Exits Band". Loudwire. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "In This Moment Recruits 3 By Design Drummer Kent Diimmel". Blabbermouth.net. 2016-06-29. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Rob Zombie, Korn team for North American summer tour". Entertainment Weekly. March 17, 2016. Retrieved March 7, 2017.
- Childers, Chad. "In This Moment Cancel European Tour Over Chris Howorth Injury Read More: In This Moment Cancel Euro Tour Over Chris Howorth Injury". Loudwire. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Janci, Janelle. "In this Moment guitarist speaks on new album, overcoming addiction and why fans should 'Become the Show'". Lancaster Online. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "IN THIS MOMENT's 'Black Widow' Cracks U.S. Top 10". Blabbermouth.net. November 26, 2014. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- Brown, Matt (June 18, 2015). "Metal by Numbers 6/18: Tremonti on top". Metal Insider. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- "Black Widow [Best Buy Exclusive] [CD]". Best Buy. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "Black Widow / ブラック・ウィドウ" (in Japanese). Warner Music Japan. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "Black Widow [Vinyl]". Retrieved May 27, 2018.
- Black Widow (CD liner notes). In This Moment. Atlantic Records. 2014. 545974-2.
- "ARIA Top 100 Albums – Week Commencing 24th September 2014" (PDF). ARIA Charts (1291): 6. September 24, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "In This Moment Chart History (Canadian Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- ブラック・ウィドウ | イン・ディス・モーメント [Black Widow | In This Moment] (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "In This Moment | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "Official Rock & Metal Albums Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "In This Moment Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "In This Moment Chart History (Top Hard Rock Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "In This Moment Chart History (Top Rock Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "Hard Rock Albums: Year End 2015". Billboard. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "Top Rock Albums: Year End 2015". Billboard. Retrieved November 25, 2016.