Black Widow (video game)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Manual cover for Black Widow
|Designer(s)||Bruce Merritt |
Black Widow is a vector arcade game developed by Atari, Inc. released in 1982. The player takes the role of a Black widow spider defending a web from invading bugs. The player must move the spider around the web while simultaneously shooting/avoiding various bugs and collecting the bonuses that appear after the enemies are eliminated. The game is a twin-stick shooter in the vein of Robotron: 2084 by Williams, but with fewer enemies on-screen.
Black Widow was offered as a conversion kit for Gravitar, which met poor commercial success. The kit used the original Gravitar PCB with a few small modifications and a new set of ROM chips. Many factory-built Black Widows were produced using unsold Gravitar cabinets with Black Widow sideart applied over the Gravitar sideart.
To destroy certain enemies, the player must lure other enemies into destroying them. There is also the Bug Slayer, a bug that helps the player eliminate enemies, with only loss of potential points being the only consequence. The Bug Slayer can help the player in tough situations, but can also prevent the player from achieving the number of extra lives necessary to endure later, more difficult, rounds. Also, other enemies appear on the playing field as eggs, laid by other enemies. The player can move these eggs off the playing field to both eliminate the enemy and receive points, before it reaches maturity.
Enemies and Scoring
- Mosquito - If shot, becomes '$'.
- Beetle - Eats '$', but if shot, becomes '$'.
- Hornet - Lays an egg on '$', but if shot, becomes '$'.
- Egg - Grows to become hornet or spoiler. Must be pushed off the web to score 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, or even 2500 points.
- Grub Steak - Tag for 500, 250, 100, or 50 points—the sooner the better.
- Spoiler - Invulnerable. Can only be destroyed by a grenade bug, bug slayer or rocket bug.
- Grenade Bug - Explodes if shot. Bugs and eggs within the kill zone score 500 points each.
- Rocket Bug - Invulnerable. Launches "rockettes" at black widow from the other bugs it tags. Shoot rockettes to score 1000 points each.
- Thunderbug - If shot, it breaks formation and attacks. If shot again, it explodes all other T-bugs for 5000 points. Keep away from all T-bugs to earn 10000 points. The resulting chain reaction from multiple thunderbugs is very dangerous and can encompass over 80% of the level at some times, depending on how many T-bugs are involved.
- Bug Slayer - Harmless to the player and invulnerable. The Bug Slayer competes with the Black Widow for food. Beat it to its flashing prey for points
James Vollandt holds the official record for this game with a maximum 930,100 points.
Black Widow was included in Atari Anniversary Edition Redux for the Sony PlayStation, released in 2001. In 2003, Microsoft Windows PCs could play Black Widow as part of Atari - 80 Classic Games in One!. Released in 2004, Atari Anthology ported the game to the PlayStation 2 and Xbox gaming consoles, and in 2005, the Nokia N-Gage cellular phone received a copy of Black Widow in Atari Masterpieces Volume 1.
- Black Widow at the Killer List of Videogames
- Black Widow at the Arcade History database
- Black Widow at Coinop.org
- Caught in the Web: An Appreciation of Ataris Black Widow at the Retroist