Asplenium adiantum-nigrum is a common species of fern known by the common name black spleenwort. It is found mostly in Africa, Europe, and Eurasia, but is also native to a few locales in Mexico and the United States.
This spleenwort has thick, triangular leaf blades up to 10 centimeters long which are divided into several subdivided segments. It is borne on a reddish green petiole and the rachis is shiny and slightly hairy. The undersides of each leaf segment have one or more sori arranged in chains.
- Asplenium adiantum-nigrum is native to:
- Northern and Southern Africa in: - Algeria; Lesotho; Morocco; the provinces of South Africa including Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Northern Cape, and Western Cape; and Tunisia.
- Western Asia and Central Asia in - the Caucasus; Azerbaijan; Cyprus; the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt; Kyrgyzstan; Ciscaucasia and Dagestan in Russia; and Turkey.
- Albania; Austria; Belgium; Bulgaria; the Czech Republic; Denmark; Finland; France (including Corsica); Germany; Greece; Hungary; Ireland; Italy (including Sardinia); the Netherlands; Norway; Poland; Portugal, Romania; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; Ukraine (including Krym); the United Kingdom; and in the Balkan Peninsula (former Yugoslavia)
- North America
- Asplenium adiantum-nigrum was originally described and published in Species Plantarum 2: 1081. 1753. "Name - Asplenium adiantum-nigrum L.". Tropicos. Saint Louis, Missouri: Missouri Botanical Garden. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
Annotation: as "Adiant. nigrum"
- "Name - Asplenium adiantum-nigrum L. synonyms". Tropicos. Saint Louis, Missouri: Missouri Botanical Garden. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- GRIN (November 20, 1998). "Asplenium adiantum-nigrum information from NPGS/GRIN". Taxonomy for Plants. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland: USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- Wagner, Warren H., Jr.; Moran, Robbin C.; Werth, Charles R. (1993). "Asplenium adiantum-nigrum". In Flora of North America Editorial Committee. Flora of North America North of Mexico. 2: Pteridophytes and Gymnosperms. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Esser, Lora L. 1994. Asplenium adiantum-nigrum. In: Fire Effects Information System, [Online]. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fire Sciences Laboratory (Producer).
- Asplenium adiantum-nigrum. The Nature Conservancy.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Asplenium adiantum-nigrum.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Asplenium adiantum-nigrum|