Location within Queensland
|Population||1,903 (2016 census)|
|• Density||0.062495/km2 ( 0.16186/sq mi)|
|Area||30,450.6 km2 (11,757.0 sq mi)|
|Region||Central West Queensland|
For the financial year 2010/11 it had an approximate operating budget of A$30m.
Prior to the 2008 amalgamation, the Blackall-Tambo Region existed as two distinct local government areas:
The entire Region was originally part of Kargoolnah Division, which was created on 11 November 1879 as one of 74 divisions around Queensland under the Divisional Boards Act 1879. On 20 May 1880, a municipal Borough of Blackall was created to cover the town and its first councillors were elected in July 1880. On 1 January 1881, a new Tambo Division was proclaimed and excised from Kargoolnah.
With the passage of the Local Authorities Act 1902, Kargoolnah became a Shire on 31 March 1903, while Blackall became a Town. The latter was abolished on 7 November 1931 and became Division 3 of the Kargoolnah Shire, which had in the meantime shrunk to include only the Blackall region. On 19 November 1932, after representations to the State Government, Kargoolnah was officially renamed Blackall.
In July 2007, the Local Government Reform Commission released its report and recommended that the two areas amalgamate. Both councils opposed the amalgamation. On 15 March 2008, the two Shires formally ceased to exist, and elections were held on the same day to elect councillors and a mayor to the Regional Council.
The Region has four divisions, each of whom elects one councillor, and a mayor is directly elected for the entire region.
Towns and localities
The Blackall-Tambo Region includes the following settlements:
The populations given relate to the component entities prior to 2008.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Blackall-Tambo (LGA)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- Blackall-Tambo Regional Council annual report 2011-12 http://www.btrc.qld.gov.au/web/guest/our-finances
- Queensland Local Government Reform Commission (July 2007). Report of the Local Government Reform Commission (PDF). 2. pp. 37–41. ISBN 1-921057-11-4. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 March 2011. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- Election summary Archived 5 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine. (ECQ)
- "2012 Blackall-Tambo Regional Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Electoral Commission of Queensland. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- "2016 Blackall-Tambo Regional Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Electoral Commission of Queensland. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- "Blackall-Tambo Regional Council". Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. 20 September 2016. Archived from the original on 6 February 2018. Retrieved 6 February 2018.