||This article reads like a press release or a news article and/or is entirely based on routine coverage. (December 2013)|
|Headquarters||New York City|
|Products||Windows management tools|
Blackbird Group, Inc. was an Enterprise software company headquartered in New York City, New York which developed, marketed and supported software that helped companies and organizations with large-scale, Windows-centric networks manage and audit Active Directory, Windows File System, Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft SQL Server environments. Its products were used by organizations to manage both regulatory and corporate Compliance (e.g., HIPAA, FISMA, GLBA, PCI DSS and SOX), as well as Data Protection requirements. At the end of 2012, Blackbird Group was acquired by enterprise security solution software vendor BeyondTrust.
Blackbird Group was founded in 2002 in Hamburg, Germany by Christian Ehrenthal. The following year the business was moved to New York City. The company initially focused on recovery and backup solutions for enterprises using Novell eDirectory services, becoming a Novell Preferred Technology Partner. In 2008, the company shifted its focus to compliance and systems management solutions for Microsoft-centric environments and was chosen by Microsoft as a member of the U.S. ISV Managed Partner Program in the High Potential ISV Group.
The company offered the Blackbird Management Suite, a technology platform that unified the operation of ten functionally separate modules that tracked, managed, and protected various activities from a centralized console. In the Windows infrastructure management arena, products focused on Active Directory, Windows File System, Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange.
The company divided its products into three solution areas:
The company also developed a portfolio of five community products for enterprise IT managers who wished to track their Active Directory logon activity and their cloud app configurations and user activity. The community products were divided into two categories:
- Active Directory utilities
- Cloud utilities
Awards & Recognition
The Blackbird Management Suite won the “Editor’s Best Award 2012” in the Best Auditing/Compliance Product category from Windows IT Pro magazine.
The Blackbird Management Suite won the "Editors' Best Award 2011" in the Best Active Directory and Group Policy Product category from Windows IT Pro magazine.
In 2011, Redmond Magazine reviewed the Blackbird Management Suite and rated it with a score of 9.0 out of 10, which earned Blackbird the magazine's MVP award.
The Blackbird Management Suite was named the "Editors' Best Award 2010" winner in the Auditing/Compliance Category by Windows IT Pro magazine.
- Rux, Eric B. “Active Directory Auditing Tools”[permanent dead link] Windows IT Pro, 08/21/2011
- Editors "Company Overview of Beyondtrust Corporation" Bloomberg Businessweek
- Marwitz, Caroline “Active Directory, GPO, and Identity Blog: Blackbird Group Watches Over Active Directory” Windows IT Pro, 04/23/2010
- Shields, Greg "Review: Blackbird Management Suite for Active Directory" RedmondMag.Com, 10/01/2011
- Rux, Eric B. "Review: Blackbird Management Suite, Navigate a challenging AD environment" Windows IT Pro, 12/14/2010
- Editors "2012 Windows IT Pro Editors' Best and Community Choice Awards" Windows IT Pro, 11/20/2012
- Editors "2011 Windows IT Pro Editors' Best and Community Choice Awards" Windows IT Pro, 12/18/2011
- Editors "2010 Windows IT Pro Editors' Best and Community Choice Awards" Windows IT Pro, 11/22/2010
- "Insight Venture Partners Portfolio: BeyondTrust"
- Pietroforte, Michael “Blackbird Recovery for AD – A sophisticated Active Directory Backup Software” 4sysops.com, 08/03/2010