Blackrock College RFC
|Full name||Blackrock College Rugby Football Club|
|Top scorer||David Boland (7463 as of 3/4/15)|
Blackrock College Rugby Football Club is a rugby union club located in Blackrock, Dublin, Ireland. The club was founded in 1882 by former pupils of Blackrock College. Their senior team currently plays in Division 1B of the All-Ireland League
Blackrock College RFC was founded in 1882 making it one of the oldest senior rugby clubs in Ireland. While it bears the name and is closely affiliated to the school at Williamstown, it is a very open local club.
The club fields adult men’s and women’s teams, under 20’s and has a mini and youth’s section all of whom are actively involved in the various competitions throughout Leinster.
The men’s senior adult team in Blackrock College RFC have been promoted to division 1B of the AIL. It has an active under 20’s academy which provides an environment in which aspiring rugby players can thrive. The club has a long tradition of producing players for the International side many of whom have also represented the Lions such as Fergus Slattery, Willie Duggan, Mick Doyle, Brendan Mullin, Hugo McNeill and more recently Shane Byrne, Brian O’Driscoll, Leo Cullen, Luke Fitzgerald and Ian Madigan.
- All-Ireland Cup
- Leinster Senior League
- 1975, 1982, 1983, 1991: 4
- Leinster Senior Cup
- 1937, 1939, 1957, 1961, 1983, 1988, 1992, 2000:8
Notable former players
British and Irish Lions
The following Blackrock players have also played at international level.
- Full-backs: Jan Simon Byrne, David Scott Lennon.
- Wings: Luke Fitzgerald, Davey Rowan (Captain).
- Centres: Brendan Macken, Sean Coughlan, Emile Van Wyk.
- Out-halves: Ian Madigan, Peter Quirke, David Godfrey.
- Scrum-halves: Dave Moore, Jack O'Carroll, Alex Walsh.
- Front-rows: Mikey Carroll, Colum Murphy, Mark O'Brien.
- Hookers: Conor Kilcoyne, Ryan Fisher.
- Second-rows: Leo Cullen, Owen Cullen, Gary Fenn, Cillian Duff.
- Wing-forwards: Sam Cooke, Peter McCague, Luke Hickey.
- Number 8s: Mick Carroll, Richard Marsh.
- international List of internationals
- The Ireland Rugby Miscellany (2007): Ciaran Cronin