Blackstone, Providence, Rhode Island
Blackstone is a predominantly residential neighborhood in Providence, Rhode Island. It is in the northeast corner of the city and is bounded to the south and west by Lloyd Avenue and Hope Street respectively. It is one of six neighborhoods comprising the East Side of Providence.
Blackstone is one of the newest parts of Providence, as the remoteness of its location and marshy land had precluded significant development before the late 19th century. The area's connection to the rest of the city improved when a second public horse car line was completed, though it was the completion of the landscaped Blackstone Boulevard in 1894 that triggered rapid development in the area.
The 20th century saw institutional development in the form of Central Baptist Church, Temple Emanuel, and St. Sebastian's Roman Catholic Church.
According to the Providence Plan,a local nonprofit aimed at improving city life, 92.5% of residents are white, well above the citywide average of 54.5%.
Blackstone is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city with a median family income nearly four times that of the city and housing values more than doubling in recent years. The median household income is $87,727, and the median family income is $117,522. Only 1.1% of families live below the poverty line.
- Blackstone Boulevard Park is a green space between northbound and southbound lanes of Blackstone Boulevard. It consists of 19.3 acres (78,000 m2) of parkland and a 1.7-mile (2.7 km) jogging/walking path.
- Lippitt Memorial Park is located at the intersection of Hope Street and Blackstone Boulevard near the Pawtucket border.
Ward Two encompasses Blackstone, all of College Hill and Wayland north of Angell Street, and parts of Mount Hope. As of the 2018 elections, Helen Anthony, a Democrat, represents the ward in the City Council.
- "Our Story & Home". Community Church of Providence. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
it also changed its name twice: first to Pine Street Baptist Church, then to Central Baptist
- Blackstone Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Citywide Green
- Google Maps
- ward2.jpg Archived 2006-11-15 at Archive.today
- Providence City Council Archived 2019-02-13 at Archive.today
- Butler Hospital, Providence Rhode Island : About Butler Hospital