Thomas Street, 2015
|LGA(s)||City of Ipswich|
The district was originally called Bundamba Creek but this caused confusion with nearby Bundamba, so the postmistress Mrs Orr proposed the name Blackstone, believed to be a place in Ireland. The area is renowned for its mining history and in 1866 Welshman Lewis Thomas established one of the first mines in the area. Blackstone has a rich Welsh history with Lewis Thomas having populated the community with Welsh miners and their families, who in turn established their own Cambrian choir and church in 1886, a School of Arts in 1891, a Soccer club in 1890, and public school in 1887.
Blackstone has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 14 Mary Street: Blackstone Congregational Church, Blackstone
- 6 Thomas Street: United Welsh Church, Blackstone
- 20 Thomas Street: Cambrian House, Blackstone
- 16 Hill Street: Blackstone State School, Blackstone
After switching to mining at Dinmore in 1870, Thomas returned to open his first Aberdare Mine in 1876 and prospered thereafter. In 1881 the government granted him permission to build a private railway which developed by 1903 into a loop line connecting the mines from
- Bundamba to Redbank:
- Box Flat,
- No 2, Mafeking
- Bonnie Dundee
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Blackstone (SSC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Blackstone (entry 47394)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Suburb and Place Names". Ipswich City Council. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Opening and closing dates of Queensland Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Agency ID4852, Blackstone State School". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "United Welsh Church, Blackstone (entry 600548)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Ipswich Heritage Study". Ipswich City Council. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Railways". Retrieved 20 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blackstone, Queensland.|
|This Ipswich, Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|