|Region of Massachusetts|
A view of the Blackstone River in the Blackstone Valley of Massachusetts
The Blackstone Valley in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
|Population centers||Worcester, Massachusetts, Providence, Rhode Island|
The Blackstone Valley or Blackstone River Valley is a region of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. It was a major factor in the American Industrial Revolution. It makes up part of the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor.
The Blackstone Valley has a varied economic base and is positioned to compete with the MetroWest region and the Greater Boston area for new economic development. A recent report commissioned by the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce provided evidence that the region has growth in the manufacturing, education, healthcare, and professional, scientific, and technical sectors. The valley is also accessible to highways and rail, cost competitive, and an educated workforce. Twelve major colleges are situated within thirty minutes of the Blackstone Valley, including Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Clark University.
Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce
The Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce is the local chamber of commerce for Worcester county within Central Massachusetts. The chamber represents the business needs of over 450 businesses and thousands of employees in the area.
Membership in the Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce also includes membership in the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce.
In the Summer of 2012, the chamber teamed up with State State Senator Michael Moore, the Central Massachusetts Center for Business and Enterprise (CMCBE), and the Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation (MGCC), and others, in an effort is to extend lines of credit to small businesses for expansion and to help hire new employees.
The Blackstone Canal was a waterway linking Worcester, Massachusetts, to Providence, Rhode Island and Narragansett Bay Narragansett Bay) through the Blackstone Valley via a series of locks and canals between 1828 and 1848.
The canal is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Greater Worcester Land Trust and list of other conservation organizations operating in the Blackstone River Valley
- "Worcester Regional Economic Competitiveness Outlook" (PDF). Anderson Strategic Advisors, LLC. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Business Directory Search". Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- Koczwara, Kevin (2012-07-12). "Senator Michael Moore and BVCC team up for small businesses". The Millbury Sutton Chronicle. Retrieved 2015-04-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blackstone Valley.|
- Highway of Commerce: The Blackstone Canal, Worcester Historical Museum, 2005
- Historic American Building Survey
- 1998 Map (PDF file)
- An Historical Assessment of Anadromous Fish in the Blackstone River by Buckley and Nixon, U. Rhode Island, 2001
- Blackstone River Watershed: Five Year Watershed Action Plan, Blackstone River Watershed Team, 2000