|Population||5,100 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Central Highlands Region|
Blackwater is both a town and a locality in the Central Highlands Region, Queensland, Australia. It is the major town in a significant coal mining area in Central Queensland. At the 2011 census, Blackwater had a population of 5,100.
Six major open cut coal mines and one underground dot the landscape surrounding the town and provide its main employment opportunities. The town is also situated close to the Blackdown Tableland National Park which lies to the southeast and Blackwater coal mine located south of the town. Emerald is 74 kilometres (46 mi) to the west.
Coal deposits were discovered there by Ludwig Leichhardt on his expedition from Moreton Bay to Port Essington (now Darwin, Northern Territory) in 1845. Leichhardt saw "beds of coal indistinguishable from those on the Hunter at Newcastle".
It wasn't until over a century after Leichhardt first discovered the beds of coal at Blackwater that the town saw major coal mining development. With the opening up of several coal mines near the town in the 1960s, Blackwater's population rapidly increased as people searching for work flocked to find employment in the town's booming mining industry. There were 77 people living in Blackwater when the 1961 census was recorded. This increased to almost 2,000 when the 1971 census was recorded.
The town's population peaked in the early 1990s with 6,760 people living in Blackwater in 1991. Since then, the population of the town has gradually waned. In the 2011 census, there were still over 5,000 people living in the Blackwater community.
Blackwater Post Office opened on 19 July 1877.
Notable people from Blackwater
Olympic track cyclist Anna Meares was born in Blackwater in 1983. In 2012, Anna Meares had a street named after her in the town when Meares Street was constructed as part of a new subdivision in the centre of Blackwater. Australian television personality, actor and comedian Josh Thomas was born in Blackwater in 1987 but moved with his family to Brisbane soon after.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Blackwater (SSC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Blackwater (town) (entry 3109)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Blackwater (locality) (entry 46918)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Coal mining in Blackwater". Blackwater International Coal Centre. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Leichhardt, Ludwig (1847), Journal of an overland expedition in Australia, from Moreton Bay to Port Essington, a distance of upwards of 3000 miles, during the years 1844-1845, T. & W. Boone, available online
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Di Stanley (10 October 2012). "Anna Meares name on new Blackwater street". Central Queensland News. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Panelist: Josh Thomas". Q&A. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "B'water stars go head-to-head". Central Queensland News. 5 February 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2015.