|Manufacturer||J. Wray and Nephew Ltd.|
|Country of origin||Jamaica|
|Alcohol by volume||40% (UK)
40% (US & Export)
History of the company
The company was established by Island Records founder Chris Blackwell and advertising executive and entrepreneur Richard Kirshenbaum in 2008. Blackwell's son, Chris Blackwell Jr, is also closely involved in the enterprise. The rum is distilled and blended by J.Wray and Nephew and distributed throughout the Caribbean and other markets, including North America and the UK.
Recipe and distillation process
The blend developed by Chris Blackwell and master blender Joy Spence is based on a traditional recipe from the days when Blackwell’s mother's family (the Lindo family) owned J. Wray & Nephew and Appleton Estate.
Blackwell Rum is produced from Jamaican sugar cane, water, and yeast to produce a blend between a traditional, ‘heavy’ pot and a lighter column still rum. Once distilled, it is aged in American oak barrels.
Awards and recognition
- Finalist, with 92/100 – Ultimate Spirits Challenge 2012.
- Gold Medal, with 94/100 – Beverage Testing Institute 2012.
- International Spirits Challenge 2012 - Silver Medal for Design; Bronze Medal for Tasting.
- Gold Medal – Global Rum Masters 2015.
- Gold Medal Gold/Dark Rum – Festival Rum Bahamas.
In popular culture
- "Rum Journal: Jamaica's Blackwell Rum". Caribjournal.com. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Rock and Pop Features. "Chris Blackwell: the original trustafarian". Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Mangrove to distribute Blackwell rum". Harpers.co.uk. 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Blackwell Enters US Market". Rum Connection. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Blackwell Rum: The Black Gold of Jamaica | Société Perrier". Societeperrier.com. 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Ultimate Beverage Challenge — 2012 Spirits Certificates". Ultimate-beverage.com. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Beverage Testing Institute, email@example.com. "Spirits Review for Blackwell Fine Jamaican Rum $30". Tastings.com. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "International Spirits Challenge". International Spirits Challenge. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "The Spirit Business". The Spirit Business. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "The Rum Connection". The Rum Connection. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Rum / "First reggae, now rum" says Chris Blackwell, Founder of Island Records + Goldeneye Resort. Now, BLACKWELL RUM for Charlie Sheen's new show Anger Management". Pinterest.com. Retrieved 2013-05-03.