This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2020)
Blagovest Hristov Sendov
(Bulgarian: Благовест Сендов)
|Bulgarian Ambassador to Japan|
|Deputy Chairperson of the National Assembly of Bulgaria|
|Chairperson of the National Assembly of Bulgaria|
|Preceded by||Aleksandar Yordanov|
|Succeeded by||Yordan Sokolov|
|Born||8 February 1932|
|Died||19 January 2020(aged 87)|
|Occupation|| • Diplomat|
Early life and education
Sendov was the rector of Sofia University, located in Sofia, Bulgaria; and the Chairman of Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, also located in Sofia. He had more than 200 publications in fields related to mathematics and computer science.
Post-1989 political career
National Assembly of Bulgaria
From 1995 to 1997, he was the Chairperson of the National Assembly of Bulgaria; and from 1997 to 2002, he was its Deputy Chairperson. His candidacy for that position[clarification needed] was supported by the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP), the successor to the Bulgarian Communist Party (BCP). Although never a member of the BCP, Sendov had close ties to former Bulgarian communist dictator Todor Zhivkov.
The rightist Union of the Democratic Forces removed him temporarily from that duty in 2000 when Sendov cosigned, together with four members of the BSP, a letter to the Israeli president asking that portraits of the Bulgarian Royal Family (from the 1940s)[clarification needed] be removed from a memorial in Israel. This memorial commemorates that all Bulgarian Jews were saved from deportation to concentration camps during World War II.
Bulgaria ambassador to Japan
Sendov was Bulgarian ambassador to Japan from 2004 to 2009.
Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Detrez, Raymond (2006). "SENDOV, BLAGOVEST (1932- )". Historical Dictionary of Bulgaria (Historical Dictionaries of Europe, No. 46) (2nd ed.). Lanham, Maryland; Toronto; Oxford: The Scarecrow Press, Inc. p. 400.
- "SENDOV, Blagovest". The International Who's Who (70th ed.). London & New York: Routledge. 2006. p. 1889. ISBN 1-85743-366-1.
- Prodanov et al. 2009, p. 487.
- Prodanov et al. 2009, p. 488.
- Ivanov, Kamen; Petrushev, Pencho (2020). "In Memoriam: Blagovest Sendov February 8, 1932–January 19, 2020". Journal of Approximation Theory. Elsevier BV. 254: 105406. doi:10.1016/j.jat.2020.105406. ISSN 0021-9045.
- Prodanov et al. 2009, p. 489.
- Prodanov, Vasil; Todorov, Antoniy; Avramov, Yosif; Ivanova, Vanya (2009). Българският парламент и преходът (1st ed.). Sofia: Ciela. ISBN 978-954-28-0352-2.