Blaine High School (Minnesota)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
|Blaine High School|
|12555 University Avenue Northeast
Blaine, Minnesota, 55434
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Anoka Hennepin District 11|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
Blaine High School is a high school in Blaine, Minnesota: part of the Anoka-Hennepin School District 11. The school was opened in 1972, as part of the Blaine Project. The current principal is John Phelps. The school colors are blue and white, and the mascot is the Bengal Tiger.
Blaine High School participates in the University of Minnesota's College in the Schools program. BHS also has an accomplished music department that includes several choirs, bands, and string orchestras. Many Blaine music students have taken part of the yearly MMEA All-State music ensembles.
Blaine High School students have the opportunity to participate in the newly formed CEMS (Center for Engineering, Math and Science) program. This program offers more difficult classes in mathematics, science and engineering. The program includes a set of student representatives who meet with the administrative staff to sort out any issues that may arise. Many arts students are interested in this program, however it offers a very tight schedule with room for few electives, two of which are taken up if the student is in music or a language.
Blaine High School won the Minnesota high school boys hockey class AA championship in 2000, defeating Duluth East High School by a final score of 6-0. The football team won the 1988 state championship in Class AA defeating Cretin-Derham Hall High School. The Girls Nordic Skiing Team won the 1979 state championship.
- Nick Bjugstad of the Florida Panthers.
- Brandon Bochenski of the Barys Astana of the Kontinental Hockey League.
- Trevor Frischmon – Professional ice hockey center who last played for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League.
- Matt Hendricks of the Edmonton Oilers.
- Blaine Hogan – Actor from Prison Break.
- Melissa Hortman – Minnesota politician.
- Dan Johnson (baseball) of the Baltimore Orioles.
- Patrick O'Bryant of the Taiwan Beer of the Super Basketball League (SBL) in Taiwan.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Blaine High School
- College in the Schools - Participating Schools
- State Boys’ Hockey Tournament Winners — 1945-2006, p. 177, accessed April 14, 2007.
- State Champions | History | More | MN Football Hub
- "Minnesota Legislators Past & Present - Legislator Record - Hortman, Melissa". Leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- Sid Hartman: Brewster has gone all-out to drum up interest in U[dead link], Star Tribune, March 31, 2007, accessed April 14, 2007. "Dan Johnson, the Oakland Athletics first baseman and Blaine High School alum, will miss up to three months after suffering an injured hip in spring training."