Blaine High School (Minnesota)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Blaine High School|
|12555 University Avenue Northeast
Blaine, Minnesota 55434
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Anoka Hennepin District 11|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
Blaine High School is a high school in Blaine, Minnesota: part of the Anoka-Hennepin School District 11. The school was opened in 1972, as part of the Blaine Project. The current principal is John Phelps. The school colors are blue and white, and the mascot is the Bengal Tiger.
Blaine High School participates in the University of Minnesota's College in the Schools program. BHS also has an accomplished music department that includes several choirs, bands, and string orchestras. Many Blaine music students have taken part of the yearly MMEA All-State music ensembles.
Blaine High School students have the opportunity to participate in the newly formed CEMS (Center for Engineering, Math and Science) program. This program offers more difficult classes in mathematics, science and engineering. The program includes a set of student representatives who meet with the administrative staff to sort out any issues that may arise. Many arts students are interested in this program, however it offers a very tight schedule with room for few electives, two of which are taken up if the student is in music or a language.
Blaine High School won the Minnesota high school boys hockey class AA championship in 2000, defeating Duluth East High School by a final score of 6-0. The football team has appeared in the state tournament 12 times, and have won one state championship which came in 1988, defeating Cretin-Derham Hall High School in Class AA, and have appeared in five more state championship games since, most recently in 2008, led by all-state quarterback James Peterson. The Girls Nordic Skiing Team won the 1979 state championship.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Nick Bjugstad of the Florida Panthers.
- Brandon Bochenski – Professional ice hockey player in the KHL with the Barys Astana.
- Jonny Brodzinski – Professional ice hockey player in the Los Angeles Kings organization.
- Michael Brodzinski – Professional ice hockey player in the San Jose Sharks organization.
- Trevor Frischmon – Professional ice hockey player, formerly with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Matt Hendricks of the Edmonton Oilers.
- Blaine Hogan – Actor from Prison Break.
- Melissa Hortman – Minnesota politician.
- Dan Johnson – Professional baseball player in the ALPB.
- Patrick O'Bryant – Professional basketball player in the SBL with the Taiwan Beer.
- James Peterson – Quarterback for the Bolzano Giants in the Italian Football League
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Blaine High School
- College in the Schools - Participating Schools
- State Boys’ Hockey Tournament Winners — 1945-2006, p. 177, accessed April 14, 2007.
- State Champions | History | More | MN Football Hub
- "Minnesota Legislators Past & Present - Legislator Record - Hortman, Melissa". Leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- Sid Hartman: Brewster has gone all-out to drum up interest in U, Star Tribune, March 31, 2007, accessed April 14, 2007. "Dan Johnson, the Oakland Athletics first baseman and Blaine High School alum, will miss up to three months after suffering an injured hip in spring training." Archived April 6, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.