Location of Blairstown, Iowa
|• Total||0.52 sq mi (1.35 km2)|
|• Land||0.52 sq mi (1.35 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||840 ft (256 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,331/sq mi (513.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0454677|
Blairstown is located at (41.906976, -92.083465).
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center|
As of the census of 2010, there were 692 people, 295 households, and 199 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,330.8 inhabitants per square mile (513.8/km2). There were 314 housing units at an average density of 603.8 per square mile (233.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.8% White, 0.7% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 1.0% from other races, and 0.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.3% of the population.
There were 295 households of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.2% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.5% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.79.
The median age in the city was 39 years. 25.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 25.6% were from 25 to 44; 24.7% were from 45 to 64; and 17.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.1% male and 49.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 682 people, 289 households, and 195 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,434.7 people per square mile (548.6/km²). There were 309 housing units at an average density of 650.0 per square mile (248.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.41% White, 0.15% from other races, and 0.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.29% of the population.
There were 289 households out of which 30.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.4% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.2% were non-families. 28.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.87.
24.8% are under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 19.2% from 45 to 64, and 22.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 86.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,662, and the median income for a family was $47,778. Males had a median income of $36,705 versus $22,083 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,828. About 5.9% of families and 11.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.5% of those under age 18 and 11.6% of those age 65 or over.
Blairstown Iowa holds an annual "Sauerkraut Days" celebration.
Many Blairstown residents still play the Belgian yard game rolle bolle (called krulbollen in Belgium), first brought to the region by Belgian immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Blairstown's courts are located in the Blairstown Ball Park. A game of rolle bolle is part of the annual Sauerkraut Days celebration. Rolle bolle is also played in the nearby towns of Belle Plaine, Clutier, Victor, Marengo, and Ladora.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- The History of Benton County, Iowa, Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &c. Western Historical. 1878. p. 328.
- Henry Gannett (1905). The origin of certain place names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 48.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Blairstown". County of Benton, IA. Archived from the original on 9 February 2006. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Amato, Joseph Anthony. (1990). Servants of the land : God, family, and farm : the trinity of Belgian economic folkways in southwestern Minnesota. Longmont, Colo.: Crossings Press. ISBN 0961411929. OCLC 24039158.
Media related to Blairstown, Iowa at Wikimedia Commons