Wood with the Reds in 2016
|Los Angeles Angels|
Born: August 8, 1985|
|May 12, 2010, for the Kansas City Royals|
|MLB statistics |
(through April 13, 2018)
|Earned run average||4.44|
Blake Daniel Wood (born August 8, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Kansas City Royals, Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds.
Prior to playing professionally, he attended North Gwinnett High School and then Georgia Tech. In the summer of 2004, Wood pitched in the Alaska Baseball League for the Anchorage Bucs, and in the summer of 2005 played in the Cape Cod League for the Y-D Red Sox.
Kansas City Royals
Wood was drafted in the third round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft by the Royals, and he began his professional career that season. Playing for the Idaho Falls Chukars, he went 3-1 with a 4.50 ERA in 12 starts.
He pitched for three teams in 2007 - the AZL Royals (0-0, 0.00 ERA in four starts), the Burlington Bees (2-1, 3.03 ERA in seven starts) and the Wilmington Blue Rocks (0-1, 4.66 ERA in two starts) - going a combined 2-2 with a 2.78 ERA in 13 starts.
In 2008, Wood pitched for the Blue Rocks (3-2, 2.67 ERA in 10 starts) and Northwest Arkansas Naturals (5-7, 5.30 ERA in 18 starts), going a combined 8-9 with a 4.25 ERA in 28 starts. In 144 innings, he allowed only 128 hits.
Though he spent three games (two starts) with the AZL Royals in 2009, he spent most of the season with the Naturals, going 2-8 with a 5.83 ERA in 17 games (13 starts) with them. Overall, he went 2-9 with a 5.55 ERA in 2009.
Wood made his MLB debut for the Royals on May 12, 2010. Wood went 6-6 with a 4.30 ERA in 106 appearances in two seasons with the Royals.
On December 2, 2013, Wood signed a one-year Major League deal for 2014 with the Indians, avoiding arbitration.
On May 26, 2014 the Indians designated Wood for assignment.
Return to Kansas City
On November 20, 2015, Wood signed a one-year deal with the Cincinnati Reds. Wood would enjoy the best season of his career, appearing in 70 games with a 3.99 ERA. He was designated for assignment on August 23, 2017 . His 2017 season ended with a 5.65 ERA in 55 games for the Reds.
Los Angeles Angels
On August 25, 2017, Wood was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels. He continued for the remainder of the season in the Angels bullpen, appearing in 17 games. The Angels re-signed Wood to a 1 year deal after the season. On May 29th, 2018, Wood was diagnosed with a UCL tear, requiring him to miss the remainder of the season and the beginning of the 2019 season while he undergoes Tommy John surgery.
- Minor league statistics
- Kaegal, Dick (May 18, 2012). "Duffy, Wood both need Tommy John surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Two on Royals to get Tommy John". ESPN.com. Associated Press. May 18, 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Indians claim RHP Blake Wood". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 2, 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Cleveland Indians sign RHP Blake Wood to 1-year deal, avoid arbitration with deadline looming". Fox News. Associated Press. November 30, 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Popely, Joe (May 27, 2014). "Swisher lands on DL; Santana to concussion list". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Kaegal, Dick (June 2, 2014). "Royals get reliever Wood back on waivers". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Royals activate Hosmer amid series of moves". ESPN.com. Associated Press. September 1, 2014. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.