Blanche Ely High School
|Blanche Ely High School|
1201 Northwest 6th Avenue
|Motto||"Home of the Mighty Tigers" "Destination Excellence"|
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Orange and Green|
The Practical Nursing Program at Blanche Ely High School is part of the Broward County Practical Nursing Program. It is the only Practical Nursing Program in a comprehensive high school in the State of Florida. Students who qualify for this program, and successfully complete it, are awarded certificates of completion at the end of their senior year. They also qualify to take the Florida State Board of Nursing licensing exam (NCLEX) to become Licensed Practical Nurses.
In addition to completing the general education requirements for graduation, students are required to take specific prerequisites prior to acceptance into the program. Courses in the discipline of nursing are taken during the junior and senior years and include classroom, laboratory and nursing practicum in a variety of health care settings. Such as clinics, nursing homes & hospitals. Emphasis is placed on preparing students capable of safe, competent practice with provisions for progressive educational growth and upward mobility in nursing. Admission into the program is both limited access and competitive.
Their mascot is the Mighty Tiger. State championship include 2002 in football, 1993, 2007, 2012, and 2013 in boys basketball, and 2003 and 2007 in track and field. Under the guidance of Coach William F. Boynton Blanche Ely High School won the Class A Florida High School Athletic Association Cross Country Championship in 1968. The Cross Country Team finished runners-up in 1969.
In 1967, Ely met McArthur in the season opener for both teams. This, along with another game in Broward County between Fort Lauderdale and Dillard the same night, was the first meeting between white and black teams.
BETV was a daily newscast that featured anchors, reporters, and special segments that are broadcast throughout the school. The newscast won awards twice. BETV aired its final episode (Episode #1330) on 7 June 2010.
Blanche Ely High School provides a wide range of organizations students can get involved in. Whether it is to help win scholarships or have a little fun after school. These organizations include: SIGMA, The Ladies of Intrigue, Adimu: Men of Excellence, Kiada: Ladies of Distinction, Gentlemen of Influence, French Club, Bandaids, Icon, ESA, etc.
As of the 2017-2018 school year, the total student enrollment was 2,127. The ethnic makeup of the school was 81.4% Black, 1.31% White, 14.5% Hispanic, 0.28% Asian or Pacific Islander, 2.02% Multiracial, and 0.37% Native American or Native Alaskan.
|Esther Rolle||1938||best known for her portrayal of Florida Evans on the CBS television sitcom Maude and its spin-off series Good Times||Rosewood|
|Patrick Peterson||2008||professional football player|
|Walter McFadden||2005||professional football player|
|Corey Simon||professional football player|
|Henri Crockett||professional football player|
|Tyrone Carter||professional football player|||
|Jerome McDougle||professional football player|
|Zack Crockett||professional football player|
|Eddie Jones||professional basketball player|
|James Jones||professional football player|
|Joshua Moore||2006||professional football player|
|Clint Session||professional football player|
|J.T. Thomas||2006||professional football player|
|Al Harris||1993||professional football player|
|Jabari Price||2010||professional football player|
|Rashard Robinson||2013||professional football player|
- Broward Schools Enrollment Counts
- Profile of Blanche Ely, referencing an earlier page of the Blanche Ely High School website
- Map Archived 2016-12-31 at the Wayback Machine. Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "Zoning Map." Deerfield Beach. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "Ely Blanche." Broward County Public Schools. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "Year-by-Year Results - Blanche Ely Tigers Basketball". maxpreps.com. 23 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "FHSAA Championship Record Books". fhsaa.org. Florida High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- Boetel, Ray (3 November 1992). "Races Against Time Football`s Black And White A Pretty 25th Anniversary Picture". Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Honors". Archived from the original on 2009-07-18. Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- "2007 Awards". Archived from the original on 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- Broward Schools Enrollment Counts
- Ivey, Justin (May 24, 2016). "Kodak Black Drops "Jewels"". XXL.