Blanche McCrary Boyd
Blanche McCrary Boyd (born 1945) is an American author whose novels are known for their eccentric characters. She is currently the Roman and Tatiana Weller Professor of English and Writer-in-Residence at Connecticut College.
Boyd was born in Charleston, South Carolina, the source of her "redneck" roots. She started college at Duke University but transferred to Pomona College, graduating in 1967; she earned a master's degree from Stanford University in 1971. Boyd joined the Connecticut College faculty in 1982.
Boyd's novels include
- Nerves (Daughters Pub. Co., 1973)
- Mourning the Death of Magic (Macmillan, 1977)
- The Revolution of Little Girls (Vintage, 1991)
- Terminal Velocity (Vintage, 1997)
- Tomb of the Unknown Racist: A novel (Counterpoint, 2018)
She has also published a collection of essays,
- The Redneck Way of Knowledge: Down-home Tales (Vintage, 1978; 2nd ed., 1994)
Boyd won a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1993–1994, a National Endowment for the Arts Fiction Fellowship in 1988, a Creative Writing Fellowship from the South Carolina Arts Commission in 1982–1983 and a Wallace Stegner Fellowship in Creative Writing from Stanford University in 1967–1968. She was also won the Lambda Literary Award and the Ferro-Grumley Award for Lesbian Fiction that same year. She was nominated for the Lambda Award for Lesbian Fiction again in 1997.
- White, Amy L. (July 21, 2016). "Boyd, Blanche McCrary". South Carolina Encyclopedia. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- Silber, Emily (April 10, 2012). "From Addiction to Fiction: A look into the life of Professor Blanche Boyd". The College Voice.
- Reviews of Mourning the Death of Magic:
- Reviews of The Revolution of Little Girls:
- Wilson, Leigh Allison (May 23, 1991). "The Tarzan in Jane". The Washington Post.
- See, Carolyn (June 24, 1991). "Dysfunctional Family's True and Funny Story". Los Angeles Times.
- Loewenstein, Andrea Freud (December 1991). "Pieces of a Puzzle". The Women's Review of Books. 9 (3): 14. doi:10.2307/4021094. JSTOR 4021094.
- "Review". Kirkus Reviews. May 1991.
- "Review". Publishers Weekly.
- Reviews of Terminal Velocity:
- Reviews of Tomb of the Unknown Racist:
- Reviews of The Redneck Way of Knowledge:
- Moore, Madeline R. (1993). "Blanche McCrary Boyd (1945–)". In Pollack, Sandra; Knight, Denise D. (eds.). Contemporary Lesbian Writers of the United States: A Bio-bibliographical Critical Sourcebook. Greenwood Press. p. 75. ISBN 9780313282157.
- "The Publishing Triangle Awards". The Publishing Triangle: the association for lesbians and gay men in publishing. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- "1997 Lambda Literary Award". FictionDB. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- Koster, Rick (March 7, 2019). "Conn College English professor is finalist for prestigious award". Associated Press.
- Brelin, Christa (1995). "Blanche McCrary Boyd". The Gay & Lesbian Literary Companion. Visible Ink Press. pp. 55ff. ISBN 9780787600334.
- Mabe, Chauncey (August 16, 1992). "Lesbian writer enjoying success of comic novel". Sun-Sentinel.