Blandford Forum railway station
Blandford Forum railway station in April 1963
|Original company||Dorset Central Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway|
|31 August 1863||Opened (Blandford)|
|21 September 1953||Renamed (Blandford Forum)|
|7 March 1966||Closed for passengers|
|1969||closed for goods|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Originally part of the Dorset Central Railway, the line to Blandford opened on 1 November 1860 to a station to the south of the River Stour. The Dorset Central merged with the Somerset Central Railway in 1862, and a new extension connecting the two railways was built. The extension, and a newly-relocated Blandford Forum station to the north of the Stour, opened on 31 August 1863.
The station remained open until 7 March 1966, when the entire line from Bath to Bournemouth closed to passengers. Goods traffic continued for a further three years, but the station was finally fully closed, and the track lifted, in 1969.
The impending closure of the station was lamented by musical duo Flanders and Swann, when in 1964 it was one of several stations listed in their song Slow Train. The song was written in the wake of the first Beeching report, published in 1963, and was written as a tribute to the lines and stations that were closed.
A working model of Blandford station, and its environs, is in the process of being built in 1/76th scale in the Blandford Museum, Bere's Yard, Market Place, in Blandford town centre.
The site of the station now lies within a housing estate.
- Atthill, Robin; Nock, O.S. (1967). The Somerset & Dorset Railway. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-4312-2.
- Atthill, Robin (1964). Old Mendip. Newton Abbott: David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-5171-0.
- "Dorset Historic Towns Survey: Blandford Forum" (PDF). Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "The Musical Slow Train". BBC Cambridgeshire. 3 October 2008. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Railway Club". Blandford Town Museum. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Blandford Forum". After Closure: The Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. Archived from the original on 17 July 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blandford Forum railway station.|
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
|Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway
LSWR & Midland Railways
|Stourpaine and Durweston Halt|
Line and station closed