R.Dahlgren & Clifford
Blandfordia is a genus of flowering plants, placed in the family Blandfordiaceae of the order Asparagales of the monocots. The genus is native to eastern Australia. Plants in this genus are commonly referred to as Christmas bells due to the shape of their flowers and the timing of their flowering season in Australia. Blandfordia was named by English botanist James Edward Smith in 1804 in honour of George Spencer-Churchill, 5th Duke of Marlborough, the Marquis of Blandford.
Blandfordia is the sole genus in the family Blandfordiaceae. Such a family has only recently been recognized by taxonomists. The APG III system of 2009 (unchanged from the 1998 and 2003 versions) recognizes this family. Previously various families were suggested.
- Blandfordia cunninghamii Lindl.
- Blandfordia grandiflora R.Br.
- Blandfordia nobilis Sm.
- Blandfordia punicea (Labill.) Sweet (Tasmanian Christmas Bell)
- "Blandfordia Sm.". Australian Plant Name Index (APNI), IBIS database. Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research, Australian Government.
- (illustrated by Edward Minchen (Large Christmas Bells) From: The Flowering Plants and Ferns of New South Wales - Part 5 (1896) by J H Maiden. New South Wales Government Printing Office.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group III (2009), "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III", Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 161 (2): 105–121, doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x
- Klaus Kubitzki, Herbert Huber (Prof. rer. nat.) (1998). Flowering plants, Monocotyledons: Lilianae (except Orchidaceae). Springer. p. 150. ISBN 3-540-64060-6.
- Christenhusz, M. J. M. & Byng, J. W. (2016). "The number of known plants species in the world and its annual increase". Phytotaxa. Magnolia Press. 261 (3): 201–217. doi:10.11646/phytotaxa.261.3.1.
- links at CSDL, Texas
- Blandfordiaceae in L. Watson and M.J. Dallwitz (1992 onwards). The families of flowering plants: descriptions, illustrations, identification, information retrieval. Version: 27 April 2006. https://web.archive.org/web/20070103200438/http://delta-intkey.com:80/
- photograph of Blandfordia punicea at the Australian National Herbarium
- NCBI Taxonomy Browser
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blandfordia.|
|This Asparagales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Australian plant article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|