|No. of offices||15 offices (1 international)|
|No. of attorneys||approximately 620|
|Major practice areas||Multi-practice law and government affairs firm.|
|Key people||Alan Hoffman, Chairman & Managing Partner|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Blank Rome (formerly known as Blank Rome Comisky & McCauley) is among the fastest growing law firms in the United States, currently ranked 96th by the AmLaw 100 Survey in 2015. With more than 600 attorneys serving clients around the globe, Blank Rome represents businesses and organizations ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-up entities. Founded in 1946, the firm advises clients on all aspects of their businesses, including commercial and corporate litigation; consumer finance; corporate, M&A, and securities; energy, environment, and mass torts; finance, restructuring, and bankruptcy; government contracts; insurance coverage; intellectual property and technology; labor and employment; maritime and international trade; matrimonial; policy and political law; real estate; tax, benefits, and private client; and white collar defense and investigations. Blank Rome also represents pro bono clients in a wide variety of cases and matters.
Blank Rome has fourteen offices in the United States: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City; Washington, D.C. (2 offices); Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California; Houston, Texas (2 offices); Princeton, New Jersey; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Wilmington, Delaware; Cincinnati, Ohio; Boca Raton, Florida; Fort Lauderdale, Florida; and Tampa, Florida. In May 2011, the firm expanded internationally by opening a Shanghai office in the People’s Republic of China.
Blank Rome was founded in 1946. The firm has combined with ten other firms since its founding: Wexler Weisman Forman & Shapiro in 1984, Wigman, Cohen, Leitner & Myers in 1998; Tenzer Greenblatt LLP in 2000; Dyer, Ellis & Joseph in 2003, Healy & Baillie in 2006, Abrams Scott & Bickley, L.L.P. in 2011, Bell, Ryniker & Letourneau, PC in 2013, Finestone & Richter and Margolis & Tisman LLP in 2014, and Wong, Cabello, Lutsch, Rutherford & Brucculeri LLP in 2015. In 2016, the firm added more than 100 attorneys from Dickstein Shapiro LLP.
Blank Rome’s practice areas include commercial and corporate litigation; consumer finance; corporate, M&A, and securities; energy, environment, and mass torts; finance, restructuring, and bankruptcy; government contracts; insurance coverage; intellectual property and technology; labor and employment; maritime and international trade; matrimonial; policy and political law; real estate; tax, benefits, and private client; and white collar defense and investigations.
Blank Rome Government Relations LLC ("BRGR"), an affiliate of Blank Rome LLP, is a government affairs firm composed of top lobbying professionals with first-hand knowledge of the policymaking and political processes in Washington, D.C. Members of the BRGR team bring to the table decades of experience from senior positions in government, and have a strong, bipartisan network of relationships with congressional and executive branch officials and staff. Key services include advocacy, coalition building and management, congressional oversight and policy implementation, government business, and legislation and regulation.
Notable lawyers and alumni
- Geraldine Ferraro, former congresswoman and Vice-Presidential candidate, was a principal of Blank Rome Government Relations LLC.
- Keith Gottfried, former general counsel to the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and a senior official in the administration of President George W. Bush, was a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of the law firm from 2007 to 2012.
- Alan Hoffman, current chairman and managing partner.
- Nathaniel R. Jones, former judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and former general counsel to the NAACP, was the law firm's former Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer.
- Michael Krancer, former secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection under Gov. Tom Corbett, is a partner at the firm and serves as the chair of Blank Rome’s Energy Industry Team.
- Frederica Massiah-Jackson, Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas judge, worked at the law firm before her election to the bench in 1983.
- David A. Norcross, former chairman of the New Jersey Republican State Committee and executive assistant to New Jersey Governor William T. Cahill, is a partner at the law firm.
- Stephen Orlofsky, former judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, is a partner at the law firm, and the head of their appellate practice group.
- Gil Stein, former president and general counsel to the National Hockey League, worked at the law firm before becoming an executive with the Philadelphia Flyers in 1976.
- Blank Rome LLP homepage
- Blank Rome Government Relations LLC homepage
- Bankruptcy Law Watch
- Consumer Finance Watch
- Cybersecurity Law Watch
- Energy Trends Watch
- Policyholder Informer
- Securities News Watch
- State AG Monitor
- Tax Controversy Watch
- Blank Rome's firm profile from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Blank Rome's firm profile from Chambers & Partners