- This article relates to the Belgian coastal town of Blankenberge. For German towns with the near-homophonous names, see Blankenberg or Blankenburg
Blankenberge beach on a hot summer day
|• Mayor||Patrick De Klerck (Open VLD)|
|• Governing party/ies||Open VLD, CD&V|
|• Total||17.41 km2 (6.72 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
On 1 December 2014, Blankenberge had a total population of 19,897. The total area of the municipality is 17.41 km², giving a population density of 1,142 inhabitants per km².
Like most other Flemish coastal towns, a main characteristic of this one is that it is a national and to a certain extent international seaside resort.
Apart from the sandy beach, there's a structure unique along the Belgian coast: a 350-m long pier, constructed in 1933.
- Carnival Parade
- Two Day Marching event, every first weekend of May
- Flower Parade (Bloemencorso), every last Sunday of August
- Wing Commander Roy George Claringbould Arnold MiD RAF 29198 is buried in the CWG Cemetery Row A Grave 18. On 9 June 1941 Arnold saved the lives of his five-man Wellington crew from IX Squadron (including Flt Lt Dominic Bruce OBE MC AFM KSG MA the 'Medium Sized Man' of Colditz fame) by calmly staying at the controls of the burning plane to hold it steady while they baled out, in the certain knowledge that he would die doing so.
- Pieter Aspe, Belgian writer.
- Adolf Eugen Fick, physician and physiologist, died in Blankenberge in 1901.
- Frans Masereel, Flemish painter and woodcutter born here in 1889.
- Leo Van Paemel, artist born (and later buried) in Blankenberge.
- Rudi Pillen, Belgian contemporary painter.
- Brian Vandenbussche, Belgian goalkeeper.
Blankenberge has schools from both school networks in Belgium. The two secondary schools are:
- Sint-Jozef – Sint-Pieter Blankenberge (formerly known as Sint-Pieterscollege – Sint-Jozefshandelsschool, subsidized free school)
- Maerlant-Middenschool • Maerlant Atheneum (GO! Onderwijs van de Vlaamse gemeenschap)
Both schools have numeral different elementary schools organized by the same instances.
- Chikura, Chiba, Japan
Every year a couple of students from Japan visit Blankenberge and live with families over here. Afterworth students from Blankenberge go and visit Chikura for eight days. This is organised by vzw 'Tweedaagse Voettocht van Blankenberge'.
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2016 (XLS; 397 KB)
- "Two-Day Walk successful in spite of bad weather". International Two Day Walk.
- Youngs, Kelvin. "Aircrew Remembered Aviation Personal Histories and Databases".
- Manchester, Reading Room. "Casualty Details".
- "rudipillen.be". rudipillen.be. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "Embassy of Japan in Belgium - Japan-Belgium Relations". Be.emb-japan.go.jp. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- fonzarelli (2010-08-14). "Blankenberge-Online-Persberichten". Blankenberge-online.be. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blankenberge.|
- Official website in English (also available in Dutch, French and German)
- Tourist Information Blankenberge
- The Pier Blankenberge