Blankenese Low Lighthouse
|Year first constructed||1984|
|Year first lit||since 29. November 1984|
|Tower shape||Cylinder tower, 2 Signals lamps|
|Markings / pattern||White and Red|
|Tower height||42 metres (138 ft)|
|Focal height||41 metres (135 ft), height of light|
|Range||8,410 metres (4.54 nmi)|
|Characteristic||Glt. W 4s (Equal Light, White, 4 Seconds)|
|Admiralty number||B 1568.7|
The lighthouse is made of concrete and stands 42 meters tall. The column is striped in red and white with a white steel lantern house at the top. The column has 12 portholes facing the river and two on the other side; the lantern has another six. It is positioned approximately 30 meter offshore in the river Elbe and 1,340 meters away from the high lighthouse.
On the base of the tower is a 5 m high two-level staircase deck. The tower itself works as a sun clock pointer to the people seating at its shadow. Inside it has a helix staircase going to the top. There is no seating place at the top of the platform, only at the bottom, which by high tide sometimes get washed. At the third floor is a door with a plate showing the function of the structure. However, due to graffiti this plate is covered.
The lighthouse is remotely controlled by the Seemanshöft Pilot Centre and belongs to the Hamburg Port Authority.
Due to the offshore location of the lighthouse, a caisson was used to build the 700 ton concrete foundation to a depth of ten meters below the water surface. The 11 ton lantern house was assembled with the help of a floating crane.
The development stage of the range of lights in the early 1980s was met by controversy, including public protests and legal action.
- "Lighthouse Blankenese Low, Hamburg". SkyscraperPage.com. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "New lighthouses for Blankenese". www.hamburg-port-authority.de. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- Meyer-Odewald, Jens (23 October 2018). "Blankenese erhält Deutschlands vierthöchsten Leuchtturm". www.abendblatt.de (in German). Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- Blankenese Low Lighthouse in Lighthouse Digest's Lighthouse Explorer Database
- Daten und Bilder bei leuchtturm-atlas.de ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Daten bei leuchtturm-web.de ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Beschreibung auf leuchttuerme.net ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Bilder und Beschreibung ‹See Tfd›(in German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blankenese Unterfeuer.|