|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Industry||Healthcare technology education|
|Bruce Blausen (Founder and CEO); Ashley Bruce (COO); Gordon Lewis (CFO)|
|Products||3D medical and scientific animations|
Blausen Medical Communications, Inc. is the creator and owner of a library of two- and three-dimensional medical and scientific images and animations, a developer of information technology allowing access to that content, and a business focused on licensing and distributing the content. It was founded by Bruce Blausen in Houston, Texas, in 1991, and is privately held.
Blausen Medical Communications, Inc. (BMC) is a privately held company founded by Bruce Blausen in Houston, Texas in 1991.[better source needed] BMC created and owns a library of medical and scientific images and animations, and has developed information technology tools allowing access to the library; as well, it licenses and otherwise works to distribute the content.[better source needed][verification needed]
As of this date,[when?] BMC's animation library comprised approximately 9,000 animations and 18,000 two- and three-dimensional images designed for point-of-care patient education, which could be accessed by consumers or professional caregivers (primarily via hospital or healthcare portal websites). The company first packaged a number of animations and still images integrated within a functional dashboard player, sold as the Blausen Human Atlas.
In 2014, BMC released 266 of their images under a creative commons license, allowing for their free use.
The company has released the Blausen It web extension as an app to allows users to access Blausen 3D animations without visiting the company's website;[when?] clicking on the free app's icon in a web browser initiates a scan of the online text being viewed, resulting in highlight terms with icons that links to the company's educational animations.
Content provider relationships
|This section needs expansion with: a more thorough (encyclopedic) presentation of its business reach. You can help by adding to it. (November 2016)|
BMC has entered into a number of business relationships resulting in its content being featured by other business entities. These include the use of its illustrations by the consumer and professional versions of the Merck Manual, and the integration of BMC Human Atlas health literacy videos with VUCA Health content in the Remote Care Management products of Vivify Health (announced February 2015).[better source needed]
Awards and recognition
Blausen Medical Communications was awarded the Innovations in Healthcare 2011 ABBY Award in Healthcare IT and Telecom Technology (Business Facing) in 2011, for the company's Human Atlas App for iPhone and iPad.
In addition, BMC was recognized in November 2011 with Platinum eHealthcare Leadership Awards for Best Web 2.0 and for Best Mobile Communications for its presence on the web and with a Bronze Web Health Award for its Human Atlas iPad app.
- Gaglani, Shiv (19 June 2012). "Interview with Blausen Medical Founder, Bruce Blausen". medGadget. Retrieved 14 November 2016.[better source needed]
- Neumann, Martin J. (22 April 2009). "Human Atlas for the iPhone". medGadget. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- Blausen.com Staff (2014). "Medical gallery of Blausen Medical 2014". WikiJournal of Medicine. 1 (2). doi:10.15347/wjm/2014.010.
- Merck Manuals Staff (14 November 2016). "Content Providers [Consumer Edition]". merckmanuals.com. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- Merck Manuals Staff (14 November 2016). "Content Providers [Professional Edition]". merckmanuals.com. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- BusinessWire Staff [Vivify Health] (11 February 2015). "New Content Elevates Vivify Health’s Robust User Experience" (press release). businesswire.com. Retrieved 14 November 2016.[better source needed]
- ABL Staff (28 September 2011). "Innovations In Heathcare [sic] ABBY Awards Event". abl.org. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- IDS Staff (16 November 2011). "IDS - Best Web 2.0 and Best Mobile Communications Awards for Blausen Human Atlas". ids-hci.com. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Images from Blausen Medical Communications.|