Blaze (TV channel)
|Launched||20 September 2016|
|Owned by||A&E Networks UK|
(A&E Networks/Sky plc)
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Audience share||0.38% (February 2019, BARB)|
|Timeshift service||Blaze +1|
Channel 83 (+1)
|Astra 2G||11081 H 22000 5/6|
|Virgin Media||Channel 216|
Blaze is a British television channel owned by A&E Networks UK, a joint venture between A&E Networks and Sky plc. The channel was originally set up to allow A&E Networks UK to use its programming for the complete "lifecycle".
In the UK
In 2013, A&E Networks UK hired Heather Jones as general manager. Jones pushed having a free-to-air channel starting in her interview. Other US competitors have launched free-to-air channels in the UK with Turner Broadcasting's TruTV in August 2014, Viacom's Spike in April 2015 and Fox's YourTV on Freeview in October 2015. A&E Networks announced a free-to-air factual entertainment channel for the UK in the third quarter of the year. The channel launched on 20 September 2016, and is the first free-to-air channel launched by A&E Networks UK on Sky and Freeview.
Blaze was the first channel launched in the UK by A&E Networks that didn't borrow its name from one of the company's U.S. channels. The abbreviation "A&E" is commonly interpreted as emergency department in the UK, so the company decided not to use that brand for the channel.
Having initially only aired imported and rerun programming, Blaze commissioned its first original programme, Flipping Bangers, in 2017. It premiered on 6 April 2018. A second season was later commissioned.
In other areas
- Kanter, Jake (August 18, 2016). "A+E Networks is launching its first Freeview channel in the UK — but admits it's late to the party". Business Insider. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- Clover, Julian (May 18, 2016). "A+E Networks to launch Freeview channel". Broadband TV News. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Wightman, Catriona (18 August 2016). "Freeview is getting a brand new TV channel called BLAZE and it sounds fiery". Digital Spy. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Clover, Julian (20 September 2016). "Blaze set for launch today". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "A+E Networks Eyes Blaze Expansion As It Promotes UK Content Chief Dan Korn To Oversee Free-To-Air Brand". Deadline. 20 February 2019.
- "Blaze lights first original". C21Media. 15 October 2017.
- "Three quarters of millennials don't know how to change a tyre or make simple repairs to their car". The Mirror. 6 April 2018.
- "A+E UK rejigs programming teams; Job steps down". Realscreen. 11 April 2007.
- Clover, Julian (22 March 2017). "A+E's Blaze to launch on Sky Italia". Broadband TV News. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Gonzalez, Juan Fernandez (13 April 2018). "AMC launches Blaze in Spain". Rapid TV News. Retrieved 31 October 2018.