Bleach (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shinsuke Sato|
by Tite Kubo (story and art)
|Music by||Yutaka Yamada|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|20 July 2018 (Japan)|
|Box office||¥448,895,200 ($4,001,919)|
Bleach (Japanese: ブリーチ Hepburn: Burīchi) (also known as Bleach: The Soul Reaper Agent Arc) is a Japanese film produced by Warner Bros., based on the manga series of the same name by Tite Kubo, and directed by Shinsuke Sato. The film stars Sota Fukushi as the main protagonist, Ichigo Kurosaki. It was released in Japan on July 20, 2018. The film had its North American premiere on July 23, 2018 at the Fantasia International Film Festival in Montreal. The film was released on Netflix on September 14, 2018.
Ichigo Kurosaki is a teenager from Karakura Town who can see ghosts, a talent which lets him meet Rukia Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper whose mission is to usher the souls of the dead from the World of the Living to the Soul Society while fighting Hollows, monstrous lost souls who can harm both ghosts and humans. When Rukia is severely wounded defending Ichigo and his family from a Hollow she is pursuing, she transfers her powers to Ichigo so that he may fight instead of her, while she recovers her strength. But Ichigo finds himself in a fight beyond imagination as he contends with both a pair of Soul Reapers sent to retrieve Rukia against her will and the monstrous Hollow known as Grand Fisher.
- Sota Fukushi as Ichigo Kurosaki, a high school student who becomes a Soul Reaper after receiving powers from an injured Soul Reaper.
- Hana Sugisaki as Rukia Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper who is forced to forfeit her powers after being injured while hunting the Hollow, Fishbone D.
- Erina Mano as Orihime Inoue, Ichigo's classmate.
- Ryo Yoshizawa as Uryū Ishida, a Quincy who is Ichigo's classmate.
- Yu Koyanagi as Yasutora "Chad" Sado, Ichigo's classmate.
- Taichi Saotome as Renji Abarai, a Soul Reaper lieutenant who is sent to retrieve Rukia.
- Miyavi as Byakuya Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper who is Rukia's brother-in-law and a Captain of the Soul Reapers.
- Seiichi Tanabe as Kisuke Urahara, the mysterious owner of Urahara Shop.
- Yōsuke Eguchi as Isshin Kurosaki, Ichigo's father.
- Masami Nagasawa as Masaki Kurosaki, Ichigo's mother who was killed years prior by the Hollow, Grand Fisher.
In 2008, Tite Kubo stated that he wished to make Bleach an experience that can only be found by reading manga, dismissing ideas of creating any live-action film adaptations of the series. When the film adaptation was announced, however, Kubo decided to be involved with its production to ensure its faithfulness to the manga and anime, so that both old and new fans may enjoy it. He also stated that his only concern was the color of Ichigo's hair, which in the manga and anime is a bright shade of orange. He said, "If that color is in the live-action movie, it'd be strange, so I wonder what they're going to do!" Regarding what fans could expect in the live-action adaptation, Sota Fukushi, who will portray Ichigo, stated that the film would feature "the monstrous Hollows, otherworldly Soul Society, and destructive Zanpakuto sword-fighting techniques".
The 10th issue of the 2018 Weekly Shōnen Jump magazine released the visual for Rukia Kuchiki, revealing that Hana Sugisaki will portray the character. In March 2018, the film's official Twitter account revealed that Uryū Ishida, Renji Abarai and Byakuya Kuchiki will be portrayed by Ryo Yoshizawa, Taichi Saotome and Miyavi respectively. In May 2018, the film's official twitter account revealed an additional cast that includes Erina Mano, Yu Koyanagi, Seiichi Tanabe, Yōsuke Eguchi and Masami Nagasawa, which portrays Orihime Inoue, Yasutora "Chad" Sado, Kisuke Urahara, Isshin Kurosaki and Masaki Kurosaki respectively.
After months of speculation from fans and critics, paired with months of silence from Warner Bros. Japan, a teaser trailer was released online on July 6, 2017, also revealing a poster for the movie in the process. On January 1, 2018, to hype the movie's release in Summer of 2018, to commemorate the beginning of the new year and to thank the support of the fans of the anime and movie project, a short message was shared via the movie's official Twitter account.
On February 5, 2018, it was revealed that the movie would premiere on July 20, 2018 in Japan. A teaser trailer was released on February 21, 2018 which was praised for its faithful adaptation of the series' first chapter. In April 2018, the first official trailer was released, which also revealed the film's theme song by Alexandros, titled "Mosquito Bite". In June 2018, Warner Bros. Japan released the final trailer for the film, which confirmed that the film's main antagonist is the Hollow Grand Fisher.
As of August 7, 2018[update], Bleach has grossed ¥448,895,200 ($4,001,919) in Japan. The filmed opened at #4 on its opening weekend and grossed ¥135 million from Friday to Sunday. On the second weekend, it fell into #5 and grossed an additional ¥64,199,600. In the third weekend, Bleach dropped off the top 10 and earned ¥23,459,400.
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes has collected 3 reviews for the film. Justine Smith for SciFiNow gave it a positive review with a consensus that "While clearly made for a dedicated fanbase, unlike some more recent anime live-action adaptations, one of the greatest assets of Bleach is how cohesively it outlines its mythology for the uninitiated." Additionally, Mark Schilling reviewed the film for The Japan Times and gave it a 3 star rating. He concluded that the film faithfully follows the mythology of the source material for the dedicated fans, but also simplifies it for casual viewers to understand.
Conversely, Rob Hunter from the Film School Rejects criticised the narrative of the story, especially when the female lead character, Rukia played by Hana Sugisaki, had to be reduced into a supporting-type character for the male lead character, Ichigo played by Sota Fukushi. He further praised Sugisaki's performances and lamented the fact that the actress was given weak materials for the film.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (August 7, 2018). "My Hero Academia Film Earns 500 Million Yen to Rank #4 in Opening Weekend". Anime News Network. Retrieved August 7, 2018.
- Valdez, Nick (July 29, 2018). "'Bleach' Post-Film Teaser Revealed". comicbook.com. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- 映画『BLEACH』オフィシャルサイト, retrieved 2016-08-20
- Alexander, Julia (2016-08-19). "Live-action Bleach movie in development at Warner Bros". Polygon. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- Official, Movie "BLEACH" (February 5, 2018). "＼＼7⃣月2⃣0⃣日公開決定／／ 全世界でシリーズ累計1億2000万部を超える超人気コミック原作。悪霊・虚〈ホロウ〉 死神の戦いを、壮大なスケールで描くバトルアクション大作『#BLEACH』の公開日が、7月20日（金）に決定". Twitter. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Bleach Manga Gets Live-Action Film in 2018 Starring Sōta Fukushi". Anime News Network. August 18, 2016. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- "Fantasia Festival - Bleach". Fantasia International Film Festival. June 30, 2018. Retrieved June 30, 2018.
- Peters, Megan (August 22, 2018). "'Bleach' Live-Action Movie Heading To Netflix". comicbook.com. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
- Mikikazu, Komatsu (February 4, 2018). ""Bleach" Live-Action Film Reveals Visual of Hana Sugisaki as Rukia". Crunchyroll.com. crunchyroll.com. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- Komatsu, Mikikazu (May 30, 2018). ""Bleach" Live-Action Film Adds Masami Nagasawa, Yosuke Eguchi, Seiichi Tanabe". Crunchyroll. Retrieved May 30, 2018.
- Official, Movie "BLEACH" (March 8, 2018). "＼キャスト発表第3弾／映画『#BLEACH』に、#吉沢亮 さん、#早乙女太一 さん、#MIYAVI さんが出演決定 新たな"死神" 阿散井恋次＆朽木白哉、"滅却師（クインシー）" 石田雨竜。物語のカギを握る謎の男たちに豪華キャスト集結". Twitter. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- Charles Solomon (August 28, 2008). "Creator Tite Kubo surprised by 'Bleach' success". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on April 23, 2009. Retrieved September 17, 2008.
- "Popular manga/anime series Bleach set for live-action film". Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- "'Bleach' Live-Action Movie To Feature Hollows, Zanpakuto Sword-Fighting Techniques And Soul Society". Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- "Live-Action Bleach Film Reveals Cast for Rukia, July 20 Debut". AnimeNewsNetwork.com. animenewsnetwork.com. February 5, 2018. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- Ressler, Karen. "Bleach Live-Action Film Casts Uryū, Renji, Byakuya". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- Official, Movie "BLEACH" (May 30, 2018). "＼キャスト発表第4弾／映画『#BLEACH』に、#長澤まさみ さん、#江口洋介 さん、#田辺誠一 さんが出演決定一護の"両親" 真咲＆一心、"風変わりな商店主" 浦原喜助。物語のカギを握るキーパーソンに豪華キャスト集結". Twitter. Retrieved May 30, 2018.
- Peters, Megan (July 6, 2017). "Bleach Live-Action Movie Releases First Teaser Trailer". Comicbook.com. Comicbook.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Peters, Megan (January 2, 2018). "'Bleach' Live-Action Film Shares Message to Ring in 2018". Comicbook.com. Comicbook.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
Happy New Year! Hello everyone, Happy New Year!!! This summer, the Bleach film will finally open. Thank you for all your support!
- Elvy, Craig (February 21, 2018). "Bleach Teaser Trailer Brings The Manga To Live-Action". ScreenRant.com. Screenrant.com. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Staley, Brandon (February 22, 2018). "Live-Action Bleach Debuts Monstrous Teaser Trailer". CBR.com. cbr.com. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- Scott, Ryan (February 21, 2018). "Live-Action Bleach Trailer Brings the Iconic Manga to the Big Screen". MovieWeb.com. movieweb.com. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- Ressler, Karen (April 19, 2018). "Live-Action Bleach Trailer Reveals Theme Song by Alexandros". Anime News Network. animenewsnetwork.com. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Peters, Megan (April 19, 2018). "'Bleach' Live-Action Film Releases First Full Trailer". comicbook.com. comicbook.com. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Japan, Warner Bros. (February 5, 2018). "＜ ジャパンプレミアご招待…だと…？6/28(木)都内某所にて開催される『#BLEACH』豪華キャスト登壇のジャパンプレミアに、抽選で10組20名様を特別ご招待！本アカウント（@warnerjp）をフォロー&このツイートをRTしてご応募ください！当選はDMにてお知らせします！【6/19(火)18:00〆切】#映画ブリーチ". Twitter. Retrieved June 13, 2018.
- Patches, Matt (September 1, 2018). "Every movie and show coming to Netflix in September". Polygon. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (July 24, 2018). "Mamoru Hosoda's Mirai Opens at #2, Live-Action Bleach at #4". animenewsnetwork.com. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "全国週末興行成績：2018年7月21日～2018年7月22日". Eiga.com. July 23, 2018. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "7月21日～7月22日". Kōgyō Tsūshin. July 23, 2018. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (July 31, 2018). "Mirai, Pokemon, Bleach Films Each Fall 1 Spot at Japanese Box Office". animenewsnetwork.com. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "全国週末興行成績：2018年7月28日～2018年7月29日". Eiga.com. July 30, 2018. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "7月28日～7月29日". Kōgyō Tsūshin. July 23, 2018. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "Bleach (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Smith, Justine (July 27, 2018). "BLEACH FIRST LOOK REVIEW FANTASIA 2018: CAN THE LIVE-ACTION MOVIE LIVE UP TO THE MANGA?". scifinow.co.uk. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Schilling, Mark (July 25, 2018). "'Bleach': Easy entry into an action-packed manga world". The Japan Times. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Hunter, Rob (August 2, 2018). "'Bleach' Review: As Live-Action Manga Adaptations Go, This Is Definitely One (Fantasia 2018)". Film School Rejects. Retrieved August 11, 2018.