Blessed Sacrament Church (Bronx)
|The Church of the Blessed Sacrament|
|Architectural style||Gothic Revival (for church-school) / Modernist (for second school)|
|Town or city||Soundview, Bronx, New York City|
|Construction started||1928 (for church-school)
1955 (for second school)
|Completed||1929 (for church-school)|
|Client||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York|
|Structural system||Masonry stone (for church-school), brick (for second school)|
The Church of the Blessed Sacrament is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Beach Avenue and Gleason Avenue, Soundview, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1927.
Like many other parish churches with parochial schools in this city, the built structure is a combination with the church on the ground floor and school classrooms above. The cornerstone for the combined structures is dated 1928. It was completed in 1929. An additional brick schoolhouse has a cornerstone dated 1955. The rectory address is 1170 Beach Avenue, Bronx NY 10472.
Blessed Sacrament Parish School
The school was founded around 1929. "Judge Sonia Sotomayor, 55, was a student at Blessed Sacrament in the 1960s, attending kindergarten through eighth grade at the Catholic school and graduating at the top of the class of 1968." She was the valedictorian and had a near-perfect attendance record. "It would seem that the school has 40 or 50 students per grade."
- See Thomas J. Shelley, The Archdiocese of New York: the Bicentennial History, (New York: Archdiocese of New York / Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), p.484, 486.
- Joe McMahon, Bronx Catholic "Blessed Sacrament, Beach Ave., Soundview", June 8, 2009, "This is an attempt to index references to The Bronx in "The Archdiocese of New York: the Bicentennial History," a marvelous 624-page book written by Thomas J. Shelley. The 2007 book may still be available at the St. Patrick Cathedral gift shop. The strength of this blog will be in the alphabetic list of labels to the right, or use the search box at top left. The blog format requires that entries move from recent to old. I continue to add photos and information." (Retrieved May 12, 2011)
- Fernandez, Manny (July 15, 2009). "The Children at the Judge's Bronx School". The New York Times. New York. pp. A23. Retrieved May 13, 2011.
- Shallwani, Pervaiz (May 27, 2009). "Resident in Sotomayor's old Bronx apartment feels pride". Newsday. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "The President's Nominee: Judge Sonia Sotomayor" (Press release). The White House. May 26, 2009. Archived from the original on May 28, 2009. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- Daly, Michael (May 28, 2009). "Dreams live on at Sotomayor's old school, Blessed Sacrament in the Bronx". Daily News. New York. Archived from the original on June 7, 2009. Retrieved May 28, 2009.