Blind (2007 film)
|Directed by||Tamar van den Dop|
|Produced by||Petra Goedings
Hilde De Laere
|Written by||Tamar van den Dop|
|Music by||Junkie XL|
|Edited by||Sander Vos|
Valkieser Capital Images (Special Effects)
|Distributed by||Klas Film
MMG Film & TV Production (Eyeworks Belgium)
Phanta Vision Film International B.V.
|8 February 2007 (Netherlands)|
|Budget||€3 million (US$4.7 million)|
Blind is a 2007 Dutch drama film written and directed by Tamar van den Dop, and starring Joren Seldeslachts, Halina Reijn and Katelijne Verbeke. The film follows a story of a loving couple, an albino woman and a blind man.
Ruben (Joren Seldeslachts) is a lone and unbalanced young man who lost his sight in childhood. Marie (Halina Reijn) is an albino woman of temperate look and with a lot of insecurities. She has a beautiful voice and along with Ruben shares a mutual love for books and tales. Ruben's mother hires her as a reader to read her son books orally. While they live in a mansion, between these two lonely souls sparks love, but will love still be blind if the man recovers from his blindness?
- Joren Seldeslachts plays Ruben Rietlander, a main protagonist character who had lost his sight in childhood.
- Halina Reijn plays Marie, a main protagonist character that falls in love with Ruben.
- Katelijne Verbeke plays Catherine Rietlander, Ruben's mother.
- Jan Decleir plays Dr. Victor Verbeecke.
- Annemieke Bakker plays Romy.
Production took place in 2007 year with a budget of 3 million euro, the script was written by Tamar van den Dop who also directed the movie. Other companies and people involved in production of this movie include: Cinenumerique - sound re-recording, Film Finances - completion guarantor, Herrie - unit publicity, Kemna Casting - casting, Warnier Studio Amsterdam - dolby mastering, sound post-production, Valkieser Capital Images - special effects.
Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a score of 84 based on 135 user votes, with an average score of 4.1/5, it hasn't received any reviews from this site yet. Blind was screened at the Toronto International Film Festival and was received positively. Film critics who reviewed other films which had featured on Toronto International Film Festival gave it positive scores. As Radheyan Simonpillai, a film critic from web based version of Now magazine, noted that a scene "where two hands fondle through a milky white veil is about as sensual as they come". Another critic David Nusair of Reel Film Reviews gave it 3 stars out of 4.
- David Nusair. "Blind Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- Radheyan Simonpillai (November 5–12, 2008). "NOW Magazine // Movies // Mad for movies". Now. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- David Nusair (2007). "2007 TIFF Update #5 - Reviews by David Nusair". reelfilm.com. Retrieved November 25, 2010.