Blind (Corrosion of Conformity album)
|Studio album by Corrosion of Conformity|
|Released||November 5, 1991|
|Recorded||1990 - 1991|
|Genre||Heavy metal, sludge metal, groove metal|
|Corrosion of Conformity chronology|
Blind is the third studio album by American heavy metal band Corrosion of Conformity, released on November 5, 1991 by Relativity Records. This was Corrosion of Conformity's first album in six years since the release of Animosity, and their first release with rhythm guitarist Pepper Keenan as well as their only recording with Karl Agell on vocals, and the only one on which original bassist Mike Dean does not appear; Phil Swisher instead takes his place, his sole appearance on a COC album. The album saw Corrosion of Conformity change their crossover thrash sound of the 1980s to a more straightforward metal sound.
Blind was re-released on Columbia in 1995 with three additional songs.
Blind received a positive review from Allmusic writer Eduardo Rivadavia, who gave the album four-and-a-half stars out of five, and states, "By the time they released 1991's Blind, crossover pioneers Corrosion of Conformity were pursuing a decidedly metallic direction, but this in no way compromised their punk ethic, overtly political lyrical themes, and incredible sonic aggression." Rivadavia describes "Damned for All Time" and "Mine Are the Eyes of God" as "excellent tracks" that "manage to be both utterly heavy and surprisingly catchy", while he describes "Dance of the Dead" and "Echoes in the Well" as "straightforward metal as C.O.C. gets." He also describes Blind as "simply one of the most important heavy rock albums of the decade."
Blind was the album that broke Corrosion of Conformity into the heavy metal mainstream, peaking at number 24 on the Heatseekers chart. One of the singles, "Dance of the Dead", saw regular radio play on popular stations such as Los Angeles, California's KNAC. "Vote with a Bullet" was also released as a single.
All music written by Corrosion of Conformity. All lyrics by Karl Agell and Pepper Keenan, except Great Purification by Phil Swisher.
- "These Shrouded Temples..." - 2:37
- "Damned for All Time" - 5:52
- "Dance of the Dead" - 4:29
- "Buried" - 5:18
- "Break the Circle" - 4:10
- "Painted Smiling Face" - 4:24
- "Mine Are the Eyes of God" - 5:00
- "Shallow Ground" - 2:21
- "Vote with a Bullet" - 3:27
- "Great Purification" - 4:33
- "White Noise" - 4:19
- "Echoes in the Well" - 5:33
- "...Remain" - 0:28
- "Condition A/Condition B" - 1:09
- "Future Now" (MC5 cover)- 2:49
- "Jim Beam and the Coon Ass" - 2:35
- Karl Agell – lead vocals, saxophone on "Jim Beam and the Coon Ass"
- Woody Weatherman – lead guitar
- Pepper Keenan – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Vote With a Bullet" and "Jim Beam and the Coon Ass"
- Phil Swisher – bass
- Reed Mullin – drums, backing vocals, saxophone case on "Jim Beam and the Coon Ass"
- Allmusic review
- Garza, Janiss (December 20, 1991). "Blind: Music Review:Entertainment Weekly". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- "Blind - Corrosion of Conformity - Awards". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- "KNAC A to Z Listing". KNAC Tribute. Archived from the original on 2013-02-16. Retrieved 2013-01-29.