Bloglines feed view
Type of site
|Created by||Mark Fletcher|
|Alexa rank||9,025 (April 2014[update])|
Bloglines was a web-based news aggregator for reading syndicated feeds using the RSS and Atom formats. Users could subscribe to the syndicated feeds for free using a web browser. Bloglines offered an application programming interface that maintainers of web sites could use to write software to read feeds, search its database of feed entries, and ping the service when a website was updated. Bloglines became unavailable in early 2015.
Mark Fletcher, former CEO of ONElist, founded the site in June 2003 and sold it in February 2005 to Ask.com/InterActiveCorp. In 2005, it hosted more than 200 million searchable blog articles. On July 23, 2007, Bloglines released an iPhone version of their site. On August 27, 2007 the company released a public beta version of their site, with new features such as drag-and-drop feeds in the feed tree and a customizable start page.
Ask.com announced that Bloglines would be shut down effective November 15, 2010. However, on November 4, 2010 on-line marketing company MerchantCircle announced that it would assume control of Bloglines. On May 26, 2011, Reply! Inc. acquired MerchantCircle for $60 million in cash and stock. The transaction was completed in Q3 2011.
- Included in Time Magazine's Top 50 Web Sites for 2004
- Voted Best Blog/Feed Search Engine by the Search Engine Watch Awards in 2005
- BusinessWeek's Best of the New Web
- "Bloglines.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-02-12. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Ask Jeeves Acquires". Bloglines. 2005-02-08. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Olsen, Stephanie (8 February 2005). "Ask Jeeves buys Bloglines". CNET News. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- "Bloglines Update". Ask.com blog. 29 October 2010. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Reply! Acquires MerchantCircle for $60 Million". reply.com. 2011-05-26.
- "Bloglines.com Server Status Check". Is it down right now?. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Are You Missing Bloglines? Here's a Possible Fix". ResearchBuzz. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Mark Fletcher Achievements". Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "5th Annual Search Engine Watch Awards - Search Engine Watch (SEW)". Search Engine Watch. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Best of the New Web: Our Editors' Picks". BusinessWeek. 26 September 2005. Retrieved 14 July 2010.