Blood Fire Death
|Blood Fire Death|
|Studio album by|
|Released||8 October 1988|
|Studio||Heavenshore Studio, Stockholm, Sweden|
|Genre||Black metal, Viking metal, thrash metal|
|Label||Black Mark/Tyfon (Sweden and Germany)|
Under One Flag (UK)
|Producer||Boss Forsberg and Quorthon|
Blood Fire Death is the fourth studio album by Swedish extreme metal band Bathory. It was released on 8 October 1988, through Music for Nations sublabel, Under One Flag. The album, although mostly black metal, includes some of the first examples of Viking metal. According to the book Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult by Dayal Patterson, Blood Fire Death began a second trilogy, an era Quorthon described as the "pre-Christian Swedish Viking Era".
Background and recording
The lyrics to "For All Those Who Died" were taken from a poem by Erica Jong, first published in her book Witches (1981), while the first three verses of "A Fine Day to Die" are taken from "Cassilda's Song" of Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow.
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||6/10|
All tracks written by Quorthon.
|1.||"Oden`s Ride Over Nordland"||2:59|
|2.||"A Fine Day to Die"||8:35|
|3.||"The Golden Walls of Heaven"||5:22|
|4.||"Pace 'Till Death"||3:39|
|6.||"For All Those Who Died"||4:57|
|8.||"Blood Fire Death"||10:28|
Note: The "Outro" is not listed on the cover, and is not included on the cassette release.
- Quorthon – guitars, vocals, percussion, effects, producer, engineer, mixing
- Vvornth – drums
- Kothaar – bass
- The Boss (Börje Forsberg) – producer, engineer, mixing
- Peter Nicolai Arbo – album cover painting, The wild Hunt of Odin (Åsgårdsreien)
- Pelle Matteus – sleeve photography
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Blood Fire Death - Bathory : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "TheLeftHandPath.com - On Jos. A. Smith's illustrations for Witches + A statement from Black Mark Records". thelefthandpath.com. 16 April 2008. Archived from the original on 19 June 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 39. ISBN 978-1894959315.
- Ramirez, Carlos (6 January 2009). "10 Great Black Metal Albums – IGN". ign.com. Retrieved 12 September 2012.