Blood and Ties
|Blood and Ties|
|Directed by||Guk Dong-seok|
|Produced by||Park Jin-pyo
|Written by||Guk Dong-seok|
|Music by||Park Ki-heon|
|Edited by||Park Gok-ji
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
Blood and Ties (Hangul: 공범; RR: Gongbeom; lit. Accomplices) is a 2013 South Korean crime-thriller film written and directed by Guk Dong-seok, and starring Son Ye-jin and Kim Kap-soo. It follows a budding journalist who suspects that her doting father may have been the culprit in a kidnap-murder case 15 years ago.
Da-eun (Son Ye-jin) has completed graduate school and is set to become a newspaper reporter. She lives with her father Son-man (Kim Kap-soo) who lovingly refers to her as "my heart." Although her father does menial work, Da-eun is proud of him.
One day, Da-eun goes to the movies with her boyfriend Jae-kyung (Lee Kyu-han) and friend Bo-ra (Jo An). They watch a movie based on a real-life unsolved crime: A boy was kidnapped and the kidnapper demanded ransom from the parents, but the child was later found dead. The only clue the police had to the killer's identity was the ransom phone call he made to the parents. At the end of the film, they play the actual recorded audio from that phone call. Da-eun freezes when she hears the voice; the man's voice sounds eerily like her father and he also uses the phrase "It Ain't Over 'til It's Over," which her father always favored.
When Da-eun gets back home, she looks up the crime that took place nearly 15 years ago on the internet. Awash with horror and guilt for even suspecting her father, she begins to look into his past with only a few days remaining before the statute of limitations lapses on the unsolved crime. As the relationship between father and daughter wrenches apart due to mounting distrust, a man (Im Hyung-joon) from Son-man's past suddenly appears.
- Son Ye-jin as Jung Da-eun
- Park Sa-rang as young Da-eun
- Kim Kap-soo as Jung Son-man
- Im Hyung-joon as Shin Joon-young
- Lee Kyu-han as Kim Jae-kyung
- Jo An as Yeon Bo-ra
- Kim Kwang-kyu as Detective Jang
- Kang Shin-il as Han Sang-soo
- Park Joo-yong as Choi Yong-joo
- Han Kyung-min as Son Kwang-min
- Seo Kap-sook as Shim Mi-ok
- Im Jong-yoon as Professor Kim
- Choi Eun-seok as Detective Kim
- Kim Ho-seung as Detective Min
- Jeon Joon-hyeok as Han Chae-jin
- Song Jeong-woo as Mi-seon's father
- Kim Tae-ri as Mi-seon's mother
Blood and Ties was released in theaters on October 24, 2013. It topped the box office during its opening weekend, selling 648,000 tickets. It reached 1 million admissions in eight days, and at the end of its run, totaled 1,766,283 admissions with a gross of ₩12,333,094,882.
The film also received a limited North American release, opening in six cities in the U.S. and Canada. It screened at the CGV Cinema in Los Angeles on November 1, 2013, followed by Vancouver's Cineplex Silvercity, New York City's AMC Bay Terrace, Atlanta's AMC Colonial, Honolulu's Consolidated Pearlri and Toronto's Yonge-Dundas on November 8.
Awards and nominations
|2014||35th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||Son Ye-jin||Nominated|
|Best New Director||Guk Dong-seok||Nominated|
|34th Golden Cinema Festival||Best Supporting Actor||Im Hyung-joon||Won|
- "Blood and Ties (2013)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Park, Han-na (27 September 2013). "'Emotional, skirmishing scenes exhausted us': Accomplice actors". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Lee, Cory (28 October 2013). "Korean Thriller Pic Accomplices Tops Weekend Box Office". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Lee, Sun-min (29 October 2013). "Korean-made Accomplices trumps Gravity in admissions". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Conran, Pierce (8 November 2013). "Box Office: October 24-November 6, 2013". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Conran, Pierce (1 November 2013). "ACCOMPLICES Conspires Its Way to 1 Million Admissions". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Lee, Cory (31 October 2013). "Son Ye-jin's Thriller Pic to Hit North America in November". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Conran, Pierce (5 November 2013). "BLOOD AND TIES Bows in North America". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-02-08.