Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole
|Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole|
|EP by Martha Wainwright|
|Producer||Martha Wainwright and Brad Albetta|
Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole was inspired by Wainwright's father, Loudon Wainwright III. She wrote the track as a response to her father’s way of writing songs about his family, rather than tending to them. Despite the sentiment, she collaborated a year earlier with Loudon on the song "You Never Phone" on his So Damn Happy album.
The EP was released in the UK as a 4 song EP (When The Day Is Short omitted) on the Drowned in Sound label.
"Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole" was used at the end of the second episode in season three of the Netflix original series Orange is the New Black, and at the end of the fourth episode in season one of the HBO original series Big Little Lies.
The review in PopMatters calls the EP "a rebellious introductory stance for an artist looking to provoke or silence potential critics" and states that Wainwright is "as different from her brother as her brother is different from their father, but like both men, she’s fiercely honest and stubbornly candid". AllMusic write that "Wainwright's husky voice has matured into a thing of real beauty, and her ability to sound both majestic and totally wrecked helps to humanize each track".
- "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole" (Wainwright) – 3:12
- "I Will Internalize" (Wainwright) – 3:25
- "When the Day Is Short" (Wainwright) – 3:14
- "It's Over" (Wainwright) – 3:28
- "How Soon'" (Lucas/Owens) – 4:04
The title song "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole" has been translated into a Swedish version by Caroline af Ugglas. The song, in Swedish called "Vill inte spela glad" ("Don't Want to Act Happy"), can be found on her album Så gör jag det igen, released March 18, 2009.
- Martha Wainwright – vocals, guitar, additional vocals (track 4) and producer
- Brad Albetta – bass (tracks 1 and 2), keyboard (track 1), organ (track 2), producer
- Cameron Grider – electric guitar (track 3)
- Paul Bryan – bass (track 3), Mellotrons (track 3)
- Bill Dobrow – drums (track 3)
- Lily Lanken – additional vocals (tracks 3 and 5)
- Tom Mennier – piano (track 5), Rhodes (track 5)
- Hodgkinson, Will (18 March 2015). "They fuck you up, your mum and dad". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Freeman, John (19 October 2012). "A Mother's Love: An Interview with Martha Wainwright". The Quietus. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Menconi, David. "Loudon Wainwright III - So Damn Happy". No Depression.
- Monger, James Christopher. "Martha Wainwright Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole (EP) review". AllMusic. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Lundy, Zeth (27 January 2005). "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole [EP]". PopMatters. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Christgau, Robert. "Martha Wainwright". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 19 May 2015.