Blooming Grove, Wisconsin
|Blooming Grove, Wisconsin|
Blooming Grove Fire Department
Location in Dane County and the state of Wisconsin.
|• Total||9.1 sq mi (23.5 km2)|
|• Land||7.5 sq mi (19.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|Elevation||873 ft (266 m)|
|• Density||235.8/sq mi (91.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1582834|
Blooming Grove is a town in Dane County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,768 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Hope is located in Blooming Grove. Although once much larger, currently the town of Blooming Grove consists of a few scattered neighborhoods and individual properties broken into discontinuous sections by the cities of Madison and Monona. Blooming Grove will be dissolved and annexed into the city of Madison by 2027.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 9.1 square miles (23.5 km²), of which, 7.5 square miles (19.4 km²) of it is land and 1.6 square miles (4.1 km²) of it (17.40%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,768 people, 723 households, and 456 families residing in the town. The population density was 235.8 people per square mile (91.0/km²). There were 748 housing units at an average density of 99.8 per square mile (38.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.44% White, 1.70% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.30% Asian, 1.30% from other races, and 1.98% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.45% of the population.
There were 723 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.6% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 26.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town, the population was spread out with 23.0% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 31.3% from 25 to 44, 29.3% from 45 to 64, and 9.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 98.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $56,328, and the median income for a family was $63,578. Males had a median income of $37,981 versus $27,036 for females. The per capita income for the town was $24,263. About 2.4% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.0% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- Daniel Bechtel, Wisconsin State Assemblyman, lived in the town.
- William F. Dettinger, Wisconsin State Assemblyman and farmer, lived in the town.
- Earl Mullen, Wisconsin State Assemblyman and barber, lived in the town.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ftp://doaftp04.doa.state.wi.us/doadocs/Madison-BloomingGroveAgreement.pdf[permanent dead link]
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1907,' Biographical Sketch of Daniel Bechtel, pg. 674
- 'Obituaries-Dettinger Rites,' Wisconsin State Journal, July 4, 1952, section 1, pg. 3
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1948,' Biographical Sketch of Earl Mullen, pg. 45