Blooming Prairie, Minnesota
|Blooming Prairie, Minnesota|
The Blooming Prairie Commercial Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location of Blooming Prairie
within Steele and Dodge Counties
in the state of Minnesota
|• Total||1.41 sq mi (3.65 km2)|
|• Land||1.41 sq mi (3.65 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,293 ft (394 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,970|
|• Density||1,415.6/sq mi (546.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0640277|
Blooming Prairie is a city in Dodge and Steele counties in the U.S. state of Minnesota. The population was 1,996 at the 2010 census. Most of the city is located within Steele County; only a small part of the city extends into Dodge County.
The area where Blooming Prairie is located was originally part of Oak Glen Township located in Dodge County. In 1856, Oak Glen Township was annexed by Steele County. The township was settled in 1856 by John Blythe who built a log cabin on 160 acres (0.65 km2) of government land. Additional settlers arrived in 1856 and 1857. Oak Glean Township was renamed when a railroad official's wife gave the small settlement of wooden shacks the name of Blooming Prairie. The new name of the settlement also became the name of the township, Blooming Prairie Township.
Blooming Prairie was established as a city in 1867. The city started as a place of shelter for the section crews and railroad station for the Minnesota Central Railroad. In 1873–1874, the Minnesota State Legislature passed the act incorporating Blooming Prairie as an independent village.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,996 people, 802 households, and 535 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,415.6 inhabitants per square mile (546.6/km2). There were 864 housing units at an average density of 612.8 per square mile (236.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.1% White, 0.4% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.3% of the population.
There were 802 households of which 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.9% were married couples living together, 9.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 33.3% were non-families. 28.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.92.
The median age in the city was 40.5 years. 25.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.1% were from 25 to 44; 24.3% were from 45 to 64; and 21.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.9% male and 51.1% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,933 people, 748 households, and 504 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,428.4 people per square mile (552.8/km²). There were 774 housing units at an average density of 572.0 per square mile (221.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.43% White, 0.21% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 2.48% from other races, and 0.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.91% of the population.
Of the 748 households, 30.9% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.8% were married couples living together, 5.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 23.5% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 23.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 88.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,345, and the median income for a family was $51,118. Males had a median income of $34,911 versus $21,705 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,343. About 2.8% of families and 6.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.1% of those under age 18 and 9.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Josh Braaten, actor, television's CSI: Miami, That 80's Show, Spin City, Married to the Kellys, among others, as well as several motion picture credits, including Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd and Semi-Pro
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Harold Severson, Blooming Prairie Update, (Blooming Prairie, MN: Community Project by First National Bank, 1980), 11-33.
- City of Blooming Prairie, MN, http://www.bloomingprairie.com/ (19 June 2010).
- Severson, 21.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.