Central North (2010)
Great Lakes (2011)
|Team history||Bloomington Extreme (2006–2011)
Bloomington Edge (2012–present)
|Based in||Bloomington, Illinois|
|Arena||U.S. Cellular Coliseum|
|Colors||Navy Blue, Red, Silver, White
|Head coach||John Johnson|
|Division titles||1: (2008)|
|Playoff berths||7: (UIF: 2007, 2008 IFL: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 CIF: 2016)|
The Bloomington Edge are a professional indoor football team based in Bloomington, Illinois. They are currently a member of Champions Indoor Football (CIF). Originally named the Bloomington Extreme, the team was a member of United Indoor Football (UIF), and joined the Indoor Football League (IFL) in 2009 during the UIF and Intense Football League merger. They left the IFL for the Champions Professional Indoor Football League (CPIFL) in 2013, and in 2015 the CPIFL merged with the Lone Star Football League (LSFL) to create Champions Indoor Football (CIF), where Bloomington did not follow and joined X-League Indoor Football (X-League). Following the 2015 season the Edge joined the CIF. The Edge play their home games at the U.S. Cellular Coliseum.
The Extreme started out as an expansion team in United Indoor Football in 2006. They missed the playoffs in their first season, but rebounded to get a franchise best record of 8-7 in 2007, when they fell to the Lexington Horsemen in the Eastern Conference championship. In 2008, they went 7-7, which was good enough for 1st place in a weak Eastern Conference. They won their first conference title and went on to the United Bowl where they would fall to the Sioux Falls Storm. The UIF merged with the Intense Football League in the 2008 offseason, meaning that the Extreme would compete in the new Indoor Football League in 2009.
In October 2010, team owner Ed Brady announced that he hired Mike Murray as the team's new head coach. Murray had been the Extreme offensive coordinator in 2006.
In November 2011, the team was purchased by Jim Morris, who had been a minority owner of the team. The team agreed with change the name of the franchise to the Bloomington Edge as a tie-in to the Ford Edge. Morris hired Kenton Carr as the Edge's head coach on January 11, 2012. The Edge finished the regular season 10-4, earning the 3 seed in the United Conference playoffs. The Edge would end their season just as the Extreme had done the past 3 years, with a first round playoff loss. This time to the Green Bay Blizzard, 30-51.
|Final Score||Team Record|
|2||March 15 (Fri)||7:05pm||Sioux City Bandits||56-62||0-1|
|3||March 22 (Fri)||7:05pm||Mid-Missouri Outlaws||54-3||1-1|
|4||March 30 (Sat)||7:05pm||@Wichita Wild||22-54||1-2|
|5||April 5 (Fri)||7:05pm||Lincoln Haymakers||62-40||2-2|
|6||April 12 (Fri)||7:05pm||Wichita Wild||35-49||2-3|
|7||April 20 (Sat)||7:30pm||@Oklahoma Defenders||44-39||3-3|
|8||April 27 (Sat)||7:30pm||@Kansas Koyotes||48-0||4-3|
|9||May 3 (Fri)||7:05pm||@Lincoln Haymakers||39-48||4-4|
|10||May 10 (Fri)||7:05pm||Kansas City Renegades||44-47||4-5|
|11||May 17 (Fri)||7:05pm||Omaha Beef||33-51||4-6|
|12||May 25 (Sat)||7:05pm||@Mid-Missouri Outlaws||46-6||5-6|
|14||June 8 (Sat)||7:05pm||@Sioux City Bandits||36-48||5-7|
|Final Score||Team Record|
|2||March 7 (Fri)||7:05pm||@Salina Bombers||20-56||0-1|
|3||March 14 (Fri)||7:05pm||@Lincoln Haymakers||50-54||0-2|
|4||March 29 (Sat)||7:05pm||Omaha Beef||69-70||0-3|
|5||April 5 (Sat)||7:05pm||Dodge City Law||47-57||0-4|
|6||April 12 (Sat)||7:05pm||@Oklahoma Defenders||59-58||1-4|
|7||April 19 (Sat)||7:30pm||Sioux City Bandits||52-43||2-4|
|8||April 26 (Sat)||7:30pm||@Lincoln Haymakers||27-58||2-5|
|9||May 3 (Sat)||7:05pm||Kansas Koyotes||43-42||3-5|
|10||May 10 (Sat)||7:05pm||Salina Bombers||58-50||4-5|
|11||May 17 (Sat)||7:05pm||@Sioux City Bandits||39-63||4-6|
|12||May 24 (Sat)||7:05pm||@Omaha Beef||69-80||4-7|
|13||May 31 (Sat)||7:05pm||Lincoln Haymakers||53-36||5-7|
The Edge announced they would be joining X-League Indoor Football in October 2014. The Edge were acquired by Omar Khokhar at the end of the 2015 season. The team's season was abruptly ended and the league's X Bowl II championship game advanced to June 6 after the Cape Fear Heroes were suspended by the league.
Logos and uniforms
From the team's inception until 2011, the team was known as the Bloomington Extreme, with the having been derived from a naming rights deal with local auto dealer Extreme Motors. In the 2011-12 offseason, the team was sold to Jim Morris (owner of a local Sonic Drive-In franchise and of the Premier Basketball League's Central Illinois Drive), with a naming rights deal with another auto dealer; this time Heller Ford would acquire said rights, giving the team its new Edge nickname (derived from the Ford Edge automobile).
Players of note
Bloomington Edge roster
Refuse to Report
Rookies in italics
- DL Sean Kelly (1), Antonio Fickin (2), Jeff Sobol (1)
- LB Ameer Ismail
- DB LaRoche Jackson (1), James Temple (2), Vincent Joseph (1)
- K Peter Christofilakos (1)
Statistics and records
Note: The Finish, Wins and Losses columns list regular season results and exclude any postseason play.
|League Champions||Conference Champions||Division Champions||Wild Card Berth||League Leader|
|Season||Team||League||Conference||Division||Regular season||Postseason Results|
|2007||2007||UIF||Eastern||4th||8||7||Won Round 1 (Rock River) 43-30
Lost Divisional Championship (Lexington) 49-67
|2008||2008||UIF||Eastern||1st||7||7||Won Divisional Finals (River City) 57-23
Lost United Bowl IV (Sioux Falls) 35-40
|2009||2009||IFL||United||Central||2nd||10||4||Lost Divisionals Round 1 (Wichita) 37-46|
|2010||2010||IFL||United||Central North||2nd||9||5||Lost Round 1 (Wichita) 48-61|
|2011||2011||IFL||United||Great Lakes||3rd||8||6||Lost Round 1 (Omaha) 34-39|
|2012||2012||IFL||United||3rd||10||4||Lost United Conference Semifinals (Green Bay) 30-51|
|2016||2016||CIF||Northern||2nd||7||5||Won Northern Wildcard (Sioux City) 65-45|
|Totals||79||65||All-time regular season record|
|3||6||All-time postseason record|
|82||71||All-time regular season and postseason record|
* Season currently in progress
- Deacon, Joe (October 21, 2010). "New Extreme coach Murray retains assistants". The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises). Retrieved June 3, 2015.
- Deacon, Joe (December 6, 2011). "Extreme sold, name changing to Edge". The Pantagraph. Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- Deacon, Joe (January 11, 2012). "Edge enter new era with Carr hiring". The Pantagraph. Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "Edge season comes to an end in Green Bay". The Pantagraph. Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises. June 23, 2012. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "Blaze Owner To Buy Edge, Team To Play In New League". CPIFL.org. Champions Professional Indoor Football League. October 12, 2012. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Deacon, Joe (October 12, 2012). "Bloomington Edge sold to Blaze owner, changing to new league". The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises). Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Deacon, Joe (May 3, 2014). "Late stops, big drive lift Edge to victory". The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises). Archived from the original on May 5, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "X-League Gains Edge". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. October 15, 2014. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- "Bloomington doctor to own Edge". The Pantagraph. Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises. May 30, 2015. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- "Edge season over as X-League skips to title game". The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL: Lee Enterprises). June 4, 2015. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Joe Deacon (August 19, 2015). "Edge moving to CIF for 2016 indoor football season". www.pantagraph.com. Bloomington Pantagraph. Retrieved August 19, 2015.