Bloomsbury School District
|Bloomsbury School District|
|20 Main Street
Bloomsbury, NJ 08804
|Grades||Pre-K to 8|
|Business administrator||Tim Mantz|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||174 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||GH|
The district participates in the Interdistrict Public School Choice Program, having been approved on November 2, 1999, as one of the first ten districts statewide to participate in the program. Seats in the program for non-resident students are specified by the district and are allocated by lottery, with tuition paid for eligible participating students by the New Jersey Department of Education.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "GH", the third-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Public school students in ninth through twelfth grades attend Phillipsburg High School in Phillipsburg in Warren County, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Phillipsburg School District. The high school also serves students from four other sending communities: Alpha, Greenwich Township, Lopatcong Township and Pohatcong Township. As of the 2014-15 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 1,631 students and 117.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.9:1.
In 2016, the district announced that it was pursuing a $30,000 study to consider merger / consolidation with the Greenwich Township School District in Warren County, citing the "financial instability" the Bloomsbury district faces based on the way the Phillipsburg district calculates the costs for students sent for high school. The notice to residents announcing the feasibility study stated that the Greenwich district was chosen based on the quality of its academic programs, shared superintendent and business administrator, proximity, financial stability and shared sending relationship with Phillipsburg for high school.
Bloomsbury Public School served an enrollment of 123 students as of the 2014-15 school year.
- Dr. Jenniffer Marycz, Principal
- Maria Eppolite, Superintendent
- Tim Mantz, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Bloomsbury School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Interdistrict Public School Choice Program: Approved Choice Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 19, 2008.
- For Parents and Students, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 20, 2016.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 6, 2014.
- Phillipsburg High School 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 1, 2016. "At the secondary level, the district serves not only students from the town of Phillipsburg which makes up 37.6% of the high school population, but also students from the surrounding boroughs of Alpha and Bloomsbury, as well as the townships of Greenwich, Lopatcong, and Pohatcong."
- About PSD, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed June 1, 2016. "The district serves students from the Town of Phillipsburg and five sending communities at the secondary level: Alpha, Bloomsbury, Greenwich, Lopatcong and Pohatcong Townships."
- Municipal Guide to Public School Districts, Warren County, New Jersey. Accessed June 1, 2016.
- School data for Phillipsburg High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Merger/Consolidation Fact Sheet #1, Bloomsbury School District, April 15, 2016. Accessed January 17, 2017. "Question/Comment: Why is the Board attempting a merger/consolidation?Response: In short, it is due to the financial instability of our district. You first have to know how we pay the Phillipsburg School District for our high school students to understand how this happened."
- School Data for the Bloomsbury School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Contact Us, Bloomsbury School District. Accessed January 17, 2017.
- Directory, Bloomsbury School District. Accessed January 17, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Hunterdon County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- School District
- Bloomsbury School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Bloomsbury School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- Phillipsburg High School