Location in the city
It is called the "Blue Area" because it was represented in blue color in the original design (master plan) of the planned city. The area is actually a corridor that runs along Islamabad's Khayaban-e-Quaid-e-Azam (also known as Jinnah Avenue), Islamabad's primary arterial road which leads up to the main government buildings. It is characterized by clean, wide roads and tall buildings among the panoramic greenery of the adjacent areas. It is limited by Nazimuddin Road to the northwest and A.K.M. Fazl-ul-Haq Road to the southeast and Ibn-e-sina road to the south west. The Blue Area has recently received a significant amount of foreign direct investment. Recently, construction completed on The Centaurus, a multi-purpose complex in the Blue Area which has residential and office towers, and a luxury hotel.
National Database and Registration Authority mega center
It was reported on 4 July 2016, the first state-of-the-art National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) mega center would open in Islamabad's Blue Area with a capacity of processing 2000 applicants daily.
Islamabad Stock Exchange
The Islamabad Stock Exchange building is also situated in the Blue Area. On 11 January 2016, the three stock exchanges namely Islamabad Stock Exchange (ISE), Lahore Stock Exchange (LSE) and Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE) all merged to become Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX).
The Centaurus Mall
Designed by British architectural firm WS Atkins, it consists of three skyscrapers, containing corporate offices, residential apartments, and a hotel. It is between Sectors F-8 and G-8, primarily situated at the junction of the two main artery roads of Islamabad, Jinnah Avenue and Faisal Avenue. The Centaurus Mövenpick Hotel is under-construction and is expected to open in the first quarter of 2018. The estimated cost for building the complex was $350 million USD. On 28 April 2013, a Mothers Day March (Mamta March) was organized in three major cities of Pakistan where people gathered at The Centaurus Mall in Islamabad, Fortress Stadium in Lahore and Port Grand in Karachi to participate in this march.
The Saudi Pak Tower is an office building in the Blue Area. It comprises 19 floors where more than a dozen multinational companies are operating, including European companies, American TV channels and multinational companies from Chinese and Middle Eastern regions.
- Oil and Gas Development Company
- Saudi-Pak Tower
- Telecom Tower Islamabad
- United Bank Limited building
- The Centaurus (building) Mall
Skyscrapers at Jinnah Avenue, Islamabad.
The Faisal Avenue Interchange in Blue Area. The Centaurus is visible in the Background.
- Islamabad: Ministry of Religious Affairs opens library in Blue Area, The Nation (newspaper), Published 1 August 2014, Retrieved 19 September 2017
- Islamabad Blue Area to have mega NADRA centre, The Nation (newspaper), Published 4 July 2016, Retrieved 19 September 2017
- Pakistan Stock Exchange: a quantum leap for Pakistan's capital market, Business Recorder (newspaper), Published 29 December 2015, Retrieved 19 September 2017
- Dalda launches 'Vote Aap Ka' campaign for mothers, Business Recorder (newspaper), Published 3 May 2013, Retrieved 19 September 2017