Blue Card (Australia)
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (June 2015)|
The blue card system is used in Queensland as a prevention and monitoring system for people working with children and young people. Other states have similar systems, but their cards are not called "blue cards".
The purpose of Queensland's Blue Card System is to contribute to the creation of safe and supportive environments for children and young people when receiving services and participating in activities which are essential to their development and wellbeing, such as child care, education, sport, and cultural activities.
While many people are familiar with the Blue Card itself, it is important to be aware that the initial Blue Card screening conducted by the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian ('the Commission') is only the first component of a three part system which considers past, present, and future risks:
- Blue Card screening to determine a person's eligibility to work with children and young people based on their known past behaviour
- Ongoing monitoring of all Blue Card holders and applicants to enable the Commission to take action to protect children and young people if the person is charged with a concerning offence, and
- Mitigating future risk through the requirement for organisations providing child related services to develop and implement child and youth risk management strategies.
The Blue Card System
- Is a key prevention and monitoring system of people working with children and young people
- Aims to minimise the risks of harm to children and young people receiving services which contribute to their wellbeing and development, and
- Is founded on the principle that all children have a fundamental right to be protected from harm.
- The past is risk managed though the initial assessment, which determines a person’s eligibility to work with children, based on known police or disciplinary information
- The present is risk managed through police information of all blue card or exemption card holders, which is continuously monitored so any changes are actioned appropriately, and
- The future is risk managed by service providers, who are required to implement child and youth risk management strategies and review them annually.
- "The blue card system". Retrieved October 29, 2012.