Blue Sea, Quebec
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||January 31, 1921|
|• Mayor||Laurent Fortin|
|• Federal riding||Pontiac|
|• Prov. riding||Gatineau|
|• Total||87.70 km2 (33.86 sq mi)|
|• Land||72.96 km2 (28.17 sq mi)|
|• Density||9.2/km2 (24/sq mi)|
|• Pop (2006–11)||10.9%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0X 1C0|
Blue Sea is a municipality in the Outaouais region of Quebec, Canada, and part of La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau Regional County Municipality. It encompasses the southern portion of Blue Sea Lake.
The Gauthier, Courchesne, Beaudoin, Lacroix, Tremblay and Bénard were among the first European families to settle at the lake since the late nineteenth century. Almost at the same time, led by the construction of railways, the first vacationers established on the shores of the lake as well.
In 1921, the small location was first called Bouchette-South, then renamed to Blue Sea in 1931.
With the growth of tourism in the early 1940s, Blue Sea quickly became an attractive destination, which it has remained today.
- Population in 2011: 674 (2006 to 2011 population change: 10.9%)
- Population in 2006: 608
- Population in 2001: 570
- Population in 1996: 595
- Population in 1991: 520
Total private dwellings: 734
Private dwellings (occupied by usual residents): 310
- English as first language: 6.6%
- French as first language: 93.4%
- Reference number 142191 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire - Répertoire des municipalités: Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire Blue Sea
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Blue Sea census profile
- "Blue Sea" (in French). MRC de La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau. Archived from the original on 2008-06-11. Retrieved 2008-08-12.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census