Blue Thunder (TV series)
|Directed by||Guy Magar|
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Rastar Productions
Columbia Pictures Television
|Original release||January 6, 1984 – April 16, 1984|
The series uses the converted Aérospatiale Gazelle helicopter and large portions of stock footage from the 1983 film. A ground unit named "Rolling Thunder" backed up the helicopter in the television series. This was a large support van with a desert camouflage off-road vehicle stored inside.
The television series cast includes James Farentino, Dana Carvey, and former professional American football players Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus. The series was canceled by ABC after they felt the similar Airwolf on CBS would win the ratings battle. Also, the series aired at the same time as the CBS soap opera Dallas on Friday nights, and lost.
Eleven episodes were made before the series was cancelled.
- James Farentino as Frank Chaney, protagonist, policeman and pilot of the "Blue Thunder". A bit of a maverick whose antics invariably get him into trouble, but always manages to come out on top.
- Dana Carvey as Clinton Wonderlove, aka "JAFO", Frank's flight engineer on "Blue Thunder", as well as his sidekick and often ignored "voice of reason" in his adventures.
- Sandy McPeak as Captain Braddock, Frank's superior who is often exasperated by him, but invariably keeps him on because he always brings results and credit to the team.
- Bubba Smith as "Bubba" Kelsey, a tough cop who is one of the two members of "Rolling Thunder", Frank's ground crew.
- Dick Butkus as "Ski" Butowski, another tough cop who is the other member of "Rolling Thunder".
- Ann Cooper as J.J. Douglas, radio operator who is Frank's contact at headquarters, and the only female regular in the series.
- O'Connor, John J. (6 January 1984). "TV WEEKEND; 'JERK TOO,' 'BLUE THUNDER'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Blue Thunder: The Complete Series". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2010-11-19.
- "Blue Thunder DVD news: A Thundering Change In The Box Art!". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Blue Thunder: The Complete Series [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: James Farentino, Dana Carvey, Dick Butkus, Bubba Smith: Film & TV". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-28.