Blue Valley North High School
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Blue Valley North High School|
|12200 Lamar Avenue 
Overland Park, Kansas 66209
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||USD 229|
|CEEB code||172294 |
|Principal||David Stubblefield |
|Athletic Director||Mickey Masterson |
|Student to teacher ratio||18:1|
|Athletics||Class 6A 
District 2 
|Athletics conference||Eastern Kansas |
|Rival||Blue Valley Northwest High School|
|Average SAT scores||2040|
|Average ACT scores||29|
|Newspaper||The North Star|
|Communities served||Overland Park|
Blue Valley North High School is a fully accredited public high school located in Overland Park, Kansas, United States, serving students in grades 9-12. The school is one of the five currently-operated high schools in the Blue Valley School District. The principal is David Stubblefield and the assistant principals are Mickey Masterson, Shannon Adams, and Tyson Ostroski. The school colors are navy blue and silver. Blue Valley North is a two-time Blue Ribbon School. The current enrollment is approximately 1,550 students.
Blue Valley North is a member of the Kansas State High School Activities Association and offers a variety of sports programs. Athletic teams compete in the 6A Division and are known as the "Mustangs". Extracurricular activities are also offered in the form of performing arts, school publications, and clubs.
Blue Valley North High School was established in 1986 in order to help educate students due to the rapid development of Overland Park, Kansas.
Blue Valley North won the Blue Ribbon Award in the 1990-1991 academic year, one of the most successful years for the school. Blue Valley North won the award again in the 2007-2008 academic year.
In 2016 and 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked it as the best high school in the State of Kansas. The Washington Post has identified Blue Valley North High School as one of "America's Most Challenging High Schools," ranking it third in the State of Kansas in 2016, and second in years 2011 through 2014.
The Mustangs compete in the Eastern Kansas League (EKL) and are classified as a 6A school, the largest classification in Kansas according to the Kansas State High School Activities Association. Throughout its history, Blue Valley North has won several state championships in various sports. Many graduates have gone on to participate in Division I, Division II, and Division III athletics. The Blue Valley North Mustangs are considered rivals with the Blue Valley Northwest Huskies. The two schools, along with Blue Valley West High School, share the District Athletic Complex located on the corner of 135th and Switzer as a home stadium for football, soccer, and baseball games. The Mustangs also compete against the rest of the Blue Valley High Schools, the nearby Shawnee Mission School District, and the Olathe School District.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Soccer, Boys||4||1992, 2000, 2001, 2007|
|Soccer, Girls||3||1998, 2002, 2007|
|Cross Country, Girls||1||2002|
|Winter||Swimming and Diving, Boys||11||1987*, 1988*, 1991, 1992, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, 2014|
|Swimming and Diving, Girls||4||1998, 1999, 2005, 2006|
|Basketball, Girls||3||1998, 2000, 2005|
|Spring||Golf, Boys||3||1992, 1993, 2012|
|Golf, Girls||3||1988, 2009, 2010|
|Track & Field, Boys||2||1993, 1999|
|Tennis, Boys||7||1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2009, 2010|
|Tennis, Girls||14||1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016|
- * championships shared with Blue Valley High School
|This section does not cite any sources. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Blue Valley North has five choirs: Concert Choir, Women's Chorale, Chorale, and Chamber Singers. 
The forensics team at North has won some outstanding titles. In Spring 2009, the BVN Forensics team won first place in the state out of 28 other 6A schools. In the National qualifying tournaments, nearly every first and second place slot went to Blue Valley North. Also, in Spring 2010, the BVN Forensics team won first place in state for 6A schools. As of July 1, 2015, the forensics team is currently ranked first in Kansas and sixth in the nation.
In 2008, FIRST Robotics Team 2410, the Metal Mustangs Robotics Team was formed. That season, they competed at two regionals, the Greater Kansas City regional and winning the Rookie All-Star award from St. Louis, which granted the team attendance to the FIRST World Championships that year. In their 2010 season, they again took home multiple awards, being finalists at the Greater Kansas City regional and then becoming the number one seeded robot at the Oklahoma Regional and winning the competition. They then competed at the 2010 World Championships, and finished in the upper half of their division. In the fall of 2010, the team moved to the Center For Advanced Professional Studies facility.
- Todd Bosley, actor.
- Casey Crawford, former professional basketball player.
- Andy Gruenebaum, professional goalkeeper for Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer.
- Jon Kempin, professional goalkeeper for Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer.
- Frances Silva, professional midfielder for FC Kansas City of the National Women's Soccer League.
- Jack Sock, professional tennis player. Winner of a gold and bronze medal in the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- Blue Valley Unified School District
- Other Blue Valley High Schools:
- GNIS entry for Blue Valley North High School; USGS; November 16, 2006.
- High School CEEB Code Search
- "School Search - Overland Park-Blue Valley North HS". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Blue Valley North High School in OVERLAND PARK, KS". www.usnews.com. US News. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- KSHSAA School Classification List
- KSHSAA School District List[permanent dead link]
- "AMERICA'S TOP HIGH SCHOOLS 2015". Newsweek.com. Newsweek. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Blue Valley North High School". niche.com. Niche. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "2012-2013 Blue Valley North High School". Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "State Records and State Champions". Archived from the original (English) on April 21, 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "BVN Choir Homepage".
- "National Forensic League". Archived from the original on 2013-10-01.
- "The Blue Alliance". Retrieved 1 November 2013.