Blue Yonder EZ Harvard
|The prototype EZ Harvard|
|Manufacturer||Blue Yonder Aviation|
|Primary user||Private owners|
|Developed from||EZ King Cobra|
The Blue Yonder EZ Harvard is a Canadian designed and built, single-engined, single-seat aircraft provided as a completed aircraft or in kit form by Blue Yonder Aviation. The aircraft is a 75% scale replica of the North American Harvard trainer of the Second World War.
The EZ Harvard was designed by Wayne Winters of Indus, Alberta and based on the earlier EZ King Cobra. The project was started as a customer request for a scale Harvard replica and was later offered as a commercially available kit aircraft.
Winters created the EZ Harvard by using the cantilever wing design from the EZ King Cobra and added 4 feet (1.2 m) additional span, to increase the wingspan to 31 feet (9.4 m) and the wing area to 176 sq ft (16.4 m2). The fuselage was redesigned to give the round cross section, glazed canopy and distinctive fin shape of the original Harvard. The aircraft retained the Junkers ailerons of the original Merlin wing along with the Clark "Y" airfoil and construction featuring a leading edge "D" cell and foam ribs. The fuselage is constructed of welded 4130 steel tube. Even though the Harvard was originally a two-seat aircraft the EZ Harvard is a single seater with the prototype powered by a Rotax 582 two stroke engine of 64 hp (48 kW).
The prototype of the new design flew in 2002. In the basic ultralight version gross weight is limited to the category maximum of 1,200 lb (544 kg).
The EZ Harvard has a large round cowling that can accommodate a variety of powerplants:
Despite being widely demonstrated no further orders have been received for the type and the prototype remains the sole flying example.
Specifications (Rotax 582)
Data from Blue Yonder website
- Crew: one
- Length: 21 ft (6.4 m)
- Wingspan: 31 ft (9.5 m)
- Height: 7 ft (2.1 m)
- Wing area: 176 sq ft (16.4 sq m)
- Airfoil: Clark Y
- Empty weight: 495 lb (224 kg)
- Useful load: 705 lb (320 kg)
- Loaded weight: 1200 lb (544 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 582 fixed pitch, 64 hp (48 kW)
- Propellers: 1 propeller, 1 per engine
- Maximum speed: 100 mph (162 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 90 mph (146 km/h)
- Stall speed: 40 mph (65 km/h)
- Range: 380 sm (615 km)
- Service ceiling: 12,000 ft (3660 m)
- Power/mass: 18.75 lb/hp (0.09 kW/kg)
- Winters, Wayne (n.d.). "EZ HarvardFlyer". Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Transport Canada (7 November 2016). "Canadian Civil Aircraft Register". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Transport Canada (November 2008). "Listing of Models Eligible to be Registered as Advanced Ultra-Light Aeroplanes (AULA)". Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Lednicer, David (October 2007). "The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage". Retrieved 2009-02-28.
- Winters, Wayne (n.d.). "EZ Harvard Price List". Retrieved 2009-03-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blue Yonder EZ Harvard.|