This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||New wave, synthpop|
|Years active||1980–1985, 2010–present|
|Past members||Tim Parry|
Formed in 1980, their original band name was Modern Jazz, and they released two singles entitled "In My Sleep (I Shoot Sheep)" and "Ivory Towers" in 1981.
The nucleus of the band were Andy O (Overall) on vocals, Tim Parry on guitar, Mike Ansell on bass and Mickey Sparrow on drums. Matthew Flowers (formerly of new wave band Sore Throat) accompanied the band live on keyboards, with Pete Lancaster occasionally on trumpet and Steve Pond from Inner City Unit playing occasional synthesizer. Tim Parry later went on to become a record producer and work in artist management.
Blue Zoo had three hit singles which charted in the UK. "I'm Your Man" reached No. 55 in June 1982 and in October 1982, "Cry Boy Cry" reached the Top 20, peaking at No. 13, becoming the band's biggest hit. It stayed on the UK Singles Chart's Top 40 for eight weeks. "(I Just Can't) Forgive and Forget" reached No. 60 in May 1983.
Although failing to chart, "Love Moves in Strange Ways" was a single of the week in NME.
- Andy O (vocals)
- Mike Ansell (bass)
- Mickey Sparrow (drums)
- Tom E Morrison (guitar)
The band also performs with guest keyboard players.
- 1983: Two by Two
- 1984: For All I Really Care
- 2013: In Love & in Life (compilation album)
- 1981: "Love Moves in Strange Ways"
- 1982: "I'm Your Man" - UK No. 55
- 1982: "Cry Boy Cry" - UK No. 13
- 1983: "Loved One's an Angel" - UK No. 76
- 1983: "(I Just Can't) Forgive and Forget" - UK No. 60
- 1983: "Somewhere in the World (There's a Cowboy Smiling)"
- 2016 “Funganista”
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 66. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "2 By 2: Expanded Edition - Cherry Red Records". Cherryred.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-05-25.
- "Funganista by Blue Zoo on Spotify". Open.spotify.com. 2017-05-26. Retrieved 2020-05-25.